We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Did I get screwed on mortgage?

Hey Guys

I had a confusing conversation with nationwide yesterday and just want to check I got the best deal.

So I was offered the below and I picked the 2 year fixed Fee

I'm a bit confused as to how she came to the conclusion that it's a better deal though...Sort of just trusted her in the end but afraid I got done by a shyster :/

So this forum wont let me post a picture of the statement but here's the info...

The fee was £999
2 Year fixed (no fee)
2 year fixed (add to loan)
Initial Interest rate
1.99%
1.59%
Initial Monthly payment
£770.11
£771.14 (+£1.40)
Product term TAP
£18,756.71
££18,734.21(-£22.50)
End of deal Balance
£145,015.94
£144,790.86 (-£225.08)
Overall Position
£6,272.64
£6,025.07 (-£247.57)
Mortgage Term TAP
£225,225.90
£221,887.85

Comments

  • Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Eighth Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Hey Guys

    I had a confusing conversation with nationwide yesterday and just want to check I got the best deal.

    So I was offered the below and I picked the 2 year fixed Fee

    I'm a bit confused as to how she came to the conclusion that it's a better deal though...Sort of just trusted her in the end but afraid I got done by a shyster :/

    So this forum wont let me post a picture of the statement but here's the info...

    The fee was £999
    2 Year fixed (no fee)
    2 year fixed (add to loan)
    Initial Interest rate
    1.99%
    1.59%
    Initial Monthly payment
    £770.11
    £771.14 (+£1.40)
    Product term TAP
    £18,756.71
    ££18,734.21(-£22.50)
    End of deal Balance
    £145,015.94
    £144,790.86 (-£225.08)
    Overall Position
    £6,272.64
    £6,025.07 (-£247.57)
    Mortgage Term TAP
    £225,225.90
    £221,887.85

    There's not a lot in it but by taking the 2 year fix with the fee you will end up paying £22.50 less than if you took the other product. You will also end up with a smaller mortgage balance i.e. will have paid off more capital, by taking the 2 year fix with the fee. A whole £225.08 more.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    Well you pay an extra £33.60 over the 2 yrs (24x£1.40) and end up owing £225.08 less so you are £191.48 better off.
  • OK thanks all :)
  • Op89
    Op89 Posts: 18 Forumite
    The overall position also means that even with adding £999 fee to the loan, you will have paid less than the higher no fee interest rate. Nothing wrong with this advice at all.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.