F+F offers not as easy as hoped.

Options
Hi,

I have offered full and finals on my debts which total about £12,000. The debt has not been passed to a dca yet but is now 8 months in arrears so that seems to be the next stage.

I have offered 50% on the debts owed but been declined on all. Tesco countered my offer for 80%.

I am very keen to clear this as it is taking its toll on me mentally but don’t know if I should just hold on until the debt is sent dca with the hope I can offer a similar amount and be approved or to contact creditors with a slightly bigger offer?

Thoughts please?

Comments

• freshstart11
    freshstart11 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    While it is with the original creditor you will find it really hard to get offers I believe
    Official DFD: Dec 29
    Challenge DFD: July 23
    Debts Cleared: 1/13
    Building EF: £20/£600 3%
  • Thisname
    Thisname Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    So do,you think it’s worth playing the waiting game and then negotiate further down the line when dca are involved?

My credit is shot to pieces anyway so waiting won’t make any difference to that.
  • efes_shareholder
    Options
    I had a DF from argos as i missed one payment which never caught up

When I called them they asked if I wanted to set up a payment plan so I asked if there was an incentive to settle the account , they offered a 20% discount

It wasn't in the hands of a DCA but I was pretty happy with it as I intended to settle it in full anyway
  • Thisname
    Options
    I forgot to mention that I am making reduced payments via a dmp with StepChange
  • tallyhoh
    tallyhoh Posts: 2,305 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    my partners debts have been passed to DCAs in the past & they have offered him quite large discounts.
    Tallyhoh! Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved £29382.50 so far!
  • Thisname
    Options
    Is the same as in house dca as some have said they use their own in house team.
  • freshstart11
    freshstart11 Posts: 416 Forumite
    Options
    When the debts get sold on is when you get best f&F as they buy for pennies to pound
    Official DFD: Dec 29
    Challenge DFD: July 23
    Debts Cleared: 1/13
    Building EF: £20/£600 3%
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Thisname

Can I ask how much you are paying in to your DMP? And to confirm, is your total level of debt £12,000?

If you are going to clear the debts in a reasonable period of time you may find your creditors prefer to stick with the DMP and get all of their money back, rather than accept a reduced amount. You may have more luck when debts are passed to a DCA but unfortunately there is no way to say when, or if, that will happen.

Best wishes

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Thisname
    Options
    I pay 89 per month split 4 ways. Estimated time to repay is 11 years.
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thisname wrote: »
    I pay 89 per month split 4 ways. Estimated time to repay is 11 years.

Far too long for a DMP.

Best option is to stop paying untill the debt is sold on and then offer F&F.

And no it won't be easy and there will be lots of calls and letters etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure