Buying glasses online

Options
Had an eye test this morning and I need new glasses :(

I found a nice pair of frames in Boots, but of course the lenses double the cost for a grand total of £260. I can only claim £180 back for eye-related stuff from my healthcare cash plan and the eye test alone was £25!

I've found the same frames cheaper online and a few alternatives of course. My issue is with not being able to try them all on first but also I don't have a clue what I'm looking for in terms of lenses. I have work on a PC and I struggle with LED headlights in low light/nighttime driving conditions. My eyes have been tired recently, hence the test, and I am apparently somewhat long sighted (+0.75/+1.00).

Boots recommended the Zeiss DriveSafe lenses but I can't find these anywhere else and I can't work out what's so special about them to order the same combination of stuff elsewhere.

Part of me is tempted to go back to Boots or into Specsavers (I saw some £45 frames in there, but I know they are a fan of add-on costs) or Vision Express (I expect them to be pricey, the frames I liked in there were also £130) because it's less intimidating. It might not be the cheap option, but I feel as though I'm more likely to get it right.

Can anybody help?

Comments

• Dark_Star
    Dark_Star Posts: 618 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Try Glasses Direct as they let you try the glasses at home first & also MSE often have deals such as 2 pairs for £17. You can add in non scratch coating/tints & other things. Worth having a look...
    Lurking in a galaxy far far away...
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    I stand by Asda on frames worn them for the past 10years,
    2 pair varifocal thinned down lenses £119.
  • DD265
    DD265 Posts: 2,202 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks both. Unfortunately there isn't an Asda store with an opticians within a reasonable driving distance.

I went back into town and had a really good consultation with somebody in at Specsavers. I now understand more about what I need, at least!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure