Wedding Loan

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just realised the OP appears to be a conservatory spammer.

Should have known better, from the name and pic...
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    £10k for a bit of paper. Madness!
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,114 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Looking around my house - still got MFI furniture 30 years old (and that replaced a wartime settee with a broken spring from an uncle) and a wardrobe from my 21st (I am now 70)

PS as another poster said save £300 a month - there's something wrong if two working people can't save that.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • gwynfil
    gwynfil Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I wouldn't take out a loan for wedding expenses. If it is down to you to pay for it all yourselves, then you have the control/say as to how you celebrate it I should think. That would mean that you don't have to put yourself in to debt to get married.

I've been happily married for years and years. I went to a registry office in jeans with my hubby to be, with two friends for witnesses. The only costs were the cost of the wedding licence etc and it was all done for under £500 pounds and then for a nice meal afterwards. My neighbours are getting married and were getting on fine, but the wedding costs are straining their relationship. Not worth it in my opinion.

I know we are all different, but debts and money worries break relationships. So it would be a no from me.

Some people have great weddings on a budget too.
  • bhughes1986
    bhughes1986 Posts: 58 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    As someone who has been married for a couple of years, please take my advice and don!!!8217;t borrow that sort of money to get married.

We did; looking back we should!!!8217;ve gone and holiday with a couple of close family/friends and had an extended honeymoon.

We had a great day and don!!!8217;t regret what we did, but going abroad/doing things on a simpler scale would have saved a lot of hassle, been cheaper and still been as good.

I know people who did the above and then hired out a village hall/rugby club to throw a big party on the cheap.

Just my 2c.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Do it on the cheap trust me in 10 years time you will have forgotten.
  • Austin0710
    Austin0710 Posts: 15 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Believe me, it's not worth it! I took out a 3k loan and increased my overdraft to pay for a better wedding. I then got a credit card to pay for our honeymoon and starting our married life in debt just made us miserable. If we could go back we would do it so differently and not start married life in debt.
  • Sncjw
    Sncjw Posts: 3,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How will you pay for the loan if your having to wait till payday to be able to buy something. The loan due date may not be near pay day and it could be the middle of the month.

I wouldn!!!8217;t start married life in debt.
    Mortgage free wannabe 

Actual mortgage stating amount £75,150

Overpayment start date 1/3/23.

Starting balance £66,565.45

Current balance £63,787.16

• MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,763 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    What are your thoughts for a wedding loan? Is it worth it?

Ask yourself whether a photo album is worth £10K - because that is all you will have to show for your money after the event.

Staring married life with a £10K debt to pay for one day in your life is one of the worst financial decisions you can make. Stick to a wedding you can afford if you want to get married sooner of wait and save if you really want the £10K day.
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've lost count of the number of people who said "I wish we'd done that!" when I tell them that our wedding was a registry office appointment and two witnesses.
    The most expensive thing was my wedding ring and the whole do (including return flights to Scotland and three nights in a 5* hotel) came to less than £1000.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure