Cutting out IFAs on pension contributions.

Options
At the risk of upsetting any IFAs here, Is it possible to increase my pension policy contribution to an existing scheme without involving an IFA?
I already have the policy, I just want to increase my contribution I don’t see why I should be forced to pay commission for advice when I neither need it, nor want it.
Recently my company increased it’s contribution in to the group pension scheme and I was required to match the value. The IFA dealing with the scheme then sent me a letter showing the commission charges that they would be receiving as the ‘cost of this advice’.
Is there no way to cut out the IFA.

Comments

• EdInvestor
    EdInvestor Posts: 15,749 Forumite
    Options
    Not if it involves a GPP unfortunately. If it's an ordinary PP, you can go the "repensioning" route as outlined by Martin using a broker which will rebate charges such as Cavendish.
    Trying to keep it simple...;)
  • Jinto
    Jinto Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks,

I thought that might be the case, it just bugs the hell out of me that the IFA should get a cut on something which frankly they didn't do any work for and had no influence over. The other scheme I was talking about is a standard PP not a GPP so I will go and try to find Martin's article.
  • jamesd
    jamesd Posts: 26,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be aware that your employer may insist on you continuing to use the same IFA. The IFA may be providing them with services that are paid for out of the annual management charges you are paying, via the commission that is based on them. The IFA can probably set the AMC to adjust the commission level, so two people with the same pension can have different fund charges.
  • Jinto
    Jinto Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, it is the case that I have no choice but to use the IFA on the group pension scheme but the other PP which i refered to is my own policy which I took out before joining my current company and it wasn't with this advisor.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You cannot change the servicing IFA on a group scheme without getting the authorisation of the employer. Its all or nothing.

Going direct to provider can cost you more than using an IFA. If you dont want to use an advice IFA then use an execution only IFA. Its cheaper than direct.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure