Project Solar quote - is it a good deal?

Options
croby
croby Posts: 3 Newbie
edited 13 June 2018 at 12:10PM in Green & ethical MoneySaving
Hi,

I have received the following quote from Project Solar, and was hoping someone could check over my quote and let me know if it is a good deal. The numbers seemed to add up over the years but wanted a second opinion.

Core components 13 x Evolution Max Life solar panels
Solax Single Tracker inverter
Voltage optimiser
K2 mounting kit
inc. access equipment (if required)
Installation Fully installed
Fully registered
10 year workmanship warranty
HIES warranty
Lifetime performance and build warranty on the module
Anti-theft device
48 hour repair response with dedicated customer care
Total cost of goods £6728.80
Total cost of labour £1682.20
Net total £8411
VAT @ 5% £420.55
Gross total £8831.55

In addition I have been quoted £3148 (inc VAT) for a battery to be installed.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello and welcome.

I didn't even need to open the thread to know it would be a stupidly high price as the give away was in the title - 'project solar'.

One day they'll give a decent quote and shock us all.

Here are some previous threads:

Project Solar panels quote.

Project Solar

Advice on solar panel quotes please?

I don't know what size the system is you've been quoted as you don't mention the wattage of the panels, but this recent thread shows what is possible even with 315Wp panels:

Opinions on this PV

Regarding batteries, I'm a massive fan of the concept, and have been desperate to get a battery for a few years now, but the time just isn't right yet as prices are still high, but this thread discusses all the ins and outs and tracks progress/comments/articles.

On-grid domestic battery storage
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • croby
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply. This price quoted is for a 3.71kw system. I’m what would you suggest a good price would be for it?

Also the install seems steep at 1.6k?? I asked the question on what happens if I move house, and was told they would move and reinstall it for £400? I didn’t realise the initial install price before I read the official quote.

I’m travelling at the moment but could provide more information later on. Thanks for the help! It’s greatly appreciated.
  • hawkwinddotcom
    Options
    My quotes (linked above) varied between £5k and £8k all for the same thing, was impressed with quote layout of one around 7k but after some thought i realised that the company was just like the dodgy window salespersons, let me phone my partner etc (oh, and turned up in a nice new shiny merc).
    Set out what you want and ask for a quote on those wants, don't be pushed by dodgy sales
    3.78 kWp PV SolarEdge with iBoost South facing.
    30° pitch roof 4% shading. Installed 6th June 18.
    Gloucester
  • Martyn1981
    edited 12 June 2018 at 4:38PM
    Options
    croby wrote: »
    Thank you for the quick reply. This price quoted is for a 3.71kw system. I!!!8217;m what would you suggest a good price would be for it?

Also the install seems steep at 1.6k?? I asked the question on what happens if I move house, and was told they would move and reinstall it for £400? I didn!!!8217;t realise the initial install price before I read the official quote.

I!!!8217;m travelling at the moment but could provide more information later on. Thanks for the help! It!!!8217;s greatly appreciated.

First off, I should have said this before, well done for seeking advice and opinions, you did the right thing, it really upsets me when folk get misled (and I'm using misled because of the swear filter on here), so if I seem stroppy in the next paragraph, it's not aimed at you at all.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Reinstall it, what a total con job. To receive FiTs (and export) the system has to be new, if it's moved onto a new property then it would be second hand and not liable for any FiTs. How is this company still going, where are Rouge Traders when you need em. AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!! [Edit - Rouge Traders? Someone who trades in rouge? Perhaps Rogue would have been more suitable. M]

Okey dokey, I feel much better now. :D

Regarding a good price, I have to say I was really impressed at Hawkwinddotcom recently, hence why I posted a thread link. 3.78kWp with 315Wp panels and Iboost for £5.3k surprised me. And I should explain why I keep mentioning bigger wattage panels, basically the higher the efficiency of the panel the more wattage for a standard size (usally 1m by 1.6m approx) and also the more expensive the panel gets. And not just proportionately more expensive eg a 300Wp panel will usually cost more per Wp than say a 280Wp panel, and so on.

What I'd suggest is immersing yourself in PV for a day or two, have a read of the FAQ's (see my auto-sig), read those other threads, maybe just potter about. PV is actually really simple, but like anything new you need to get your head round it, if you want to get a good deal, and also have the most suitable system installed.

Plus now you can ask all of us for thoughts on the offerings, and bounce ideas back and forth.

For instance my first thought is why 13 panels? Is that the max space you have available? Nothing wrong with 3.7kWp, that's a good size, but most costs are fixed, so going a bit bigger gets cheaper if there's room.

Have fun, and keep chatting, Mart.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Curious to know what the anti theft device is?

No mention on the quote about an Inverter?

Ask them how much the Voltage optimiser is? Never found anyone who can justify the cost of something that the system does not need!

Depending on how you heat your water you may want to include an I-Boost which can divert unused production to heat your water. I had one installed with my system and have diverted just short of 5 Mega watts in 4 years. Basically on a sunny day from Mid March through to October its free hot water.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• croby
    edited 13 June 2018 at 10:27AM
    Options
    Firstly, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply and provide me with this information.

Secondly... Wow... I had no idea that if I moved the panels that the FiT would be stopped. I made it very clear to the sales guy that I'm likely to move in 3-4 years and asked the question of what would happen. He said I have the right to take the panels with me and they could move them for £400 (which again begs the question how is the initial install charge £1600?). The numbers he then generated for me were still based on a 20 years FiT (& export), and at no time mentioned that this would stop if I moved the panels.

I believe I can also leave the panels on the "old" house if I wanted, which supposedly increase the property value, and i'd still benefit from the FiT, but the main reason for installing the system was due to my higher than average electricity usage, so taking the panels with me was a preferred option.

So to give you guys a little more information as to why they price themselves as they do... Apparently they're the 'rolls-royce' of the industry, and the only company that is able to offer a 99 year warranty (the next best apparently is 10 years). They claim that the warranty would kick in if the efficiency of a single panel drops by more than 0.6% a year (this number may be a little out). IF this is the case with the warranty, then I'd agree it's worth paying a bit more. They also claim their panels are A grade, and their 285w panels will more likely run at about 315w. They base their figures over the 20 years on minimum numbers, and give you a guarantee that if in the first year they don't reach it, they will bridge the difference. They also claim that they're the only company who are trading standard. In addition, they're apparently the only company who are able to offer finance with their systems, but i'd argue this isn't a huge selling point when the finance is with a 7.7% apr.

They also led me to believe throughout the pitch that every other company out there shouldn't be trusted, as their products are below A grade, they'd only offer a 10 year warranty and won't probably be around in a few years time.

So that being said, if the part about the warranty is true, i'd argue that paying a slightly higher premium is worth it, but the fact I was massively miss lead on the house move situation has made me doubt everything. Oh - and the reason for 13 panels instead of 14 is roof size.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Well, I can't wait to hear what the experts think of that, my my thoughts as someone with 4Kwp on the roof and an iboost for hot water is, what a load of meaningless salesman spiel.

Avoid like the plague.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So to give you guys a little more information as to why they price themselves as they do... Apparently they're the 'rolls-royce' of the industry, and the only company that is able to offer a 99 year warranty (the next best apparently is 10 years). They claim that the warranty would kick in if the efficiency of a single panel drops by more than 0.6% a year (this number may be a little out). IF this is the case with the warranty, then I'd agree it's worth paying a bit more. They also claim their panels are A grade, and their 285w panels will more likely run at about 315w. They base their figures over the 20 years on minimum numbers, and give you a guarantee that if in the first year they don't reach it, they will bridge the difference. They also claim that they're the only company who are trading standard. In addition, they're apparently the only company who are able to offer finance with their systems, but i'd argue this isn't a huge selling point when the finance is with a 7.7% apr.

I must be missing something as their website states '25 year performance warranties on all supplied solar modules' and '10 Year Independent Insurance Backed Warranty'. No reference to 99 years on their website. Minimum output numbers, in my experience, have always been below PVGIS. I have a 2.12kWp array with a MCS minimum output figure of 1632kWhs/year. Over the past 7 years, my outputs have been in the range 1875 to 1960kWhs/year. And, yes, my panels have a performance warranty from the supplier and a 10 year independent insurance backed warranty.
  • Martyn1981
    Options
    Hengus wrote: »
    I must be missing something as their website states '25 year performance warranties on all supplied solar modules' and '10 Year Independent Insurance Backed Warranty'. No reference to 99 years on their website. Minimum output numbers, in my experience, have always been below PVGIS. I have a 2.12kWp array with a MCS minimum output figure of 1632kWhs/year. Over the past 7 years, my outputs have been in the range 1875 to 1960kWhs/year. And, yes, my panels have a performance warranty from the supplier and a 10 year independent insurance backed warranty.

Yep, most panels have a 20 or 25yr performance warranty guaranteeing that they won't lose more than X% efficiency, but so far PV efficiency losses have been lower than anyone expected. I suspect the 25yr warranty is simply the panel manufacturers performance warranty.

The most detailed report suggested 0.8%pa for all types and ages, but then went on to say 0.4% (0.36% I think?) for post 2000 silicon panels. So after 20yrs you should still have panels at 90% efficiency.

• tunnel
    tunnel Posts: 2,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    They also claim their panels are A grade, and their 285w panels will more likely run at about 315w
    4617.gifPriceless.....just priceless

Do yourself a favour and tell them to do one.....then shop around and get a real quote5170.gif
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire17.7kWh Givenergy battery added(for the power hungry kids)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure