Cash Gift- where should it go?

Options
Hi all,

I’ve been given a cash gift of 5k by a relative, I currently have the following debt;

1435 cc
988 cc
965 cc
979 cc

490 Argos
300 very
300 next
170 grattan

I’d like to keep 2k as a safety net, going through a tricky time in my marriage and as my salary is quite low under £1k and 550 of that has to go into our bills/ mortgage joint account, I’m not exactly secure should we call time on things.

What am I best clearing/ spending and where? The credit cards bar the 988 one are 30ish % interest, and pretty much to the limit.
I need to get myself into a position where I’m comfortable and picking up on my credit score.

Of course I’m incredibly lucky to have received this cash gift hence why I want to make sure I put it in the right places.

Thanks for reading :beer:

Comments

• fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Personally, I'd pay off the debts with the highest rate of interest first. So 3 of the credit cards for a start.

What rates of interest are Argos, Very, Next and Grattan?

Cancel the cards as soon as you clear them.

Best wishes
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I would pay all of them off bar the £988 as I am pretty sure the four store cards attract interest of at least 30%.

While this would only leave £400 or so you should be able to save enough soon get close to your £2000 safety net given that you don't have eight monthly repayments to make.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 11 June 2018 at 4:35PM
    Options
    I'd say similar, but a slight variation.

Pay off all the high rate balances. Keep one or two of the cleared cards, and use them for modest current spending, paying in full each month.

After a couple of months of this it might be possible to apply for a new card with a decent time (couple of years) 0% offer for balance transfers, and move the 988 and a couple of hundred of recent spending across to that. Avoid new spending on this card, or do only a very small total no more than the monthly minimum payment required.

Not having 30% interest on £5000 is going to save £120 a month, and if the balance transfer is also possible that reduces all interest to zero and gives a couple of years to build up some reserves on top of the eventual amount to clear it.
  • zippygeorgeandben
    Options
    Make sure you say thank you to your relative and never get into this situation again!
    Savings as of April 2023 Savings account - £26460.50(14474.88)Current account - £2140.24(4576.79)Total - £28600.74(19051.67) £1010 (£65pm CS/BS) £250 CS/BS/JS
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,599 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    All the store cards are usually on a high rate of interest so the most cost efficient thing to do would clear as much as possible out of the whole £5k then build up savings again using the money you were spending on debt repayments. This is especially the case if all the debt or most of it is 30+% interest. Get rid of the lot then budget extremely strictly. Have you addressed the reason for the debt in the first place? Can you work more hours or take on a second job?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Mrsb168
    Options
    Ooh ouch @zippygeorgeandben ! I mean it would have been rude to not have given the biggest most heartfelt thanks with tears flowing when I was first given it don’t you think ;) it was a gift and my brother got the same amount, it wasn’t due to my current situation but of course I said thank you!! And have absolutely no intention of ever doing so again!!

@enthusiasticsaver thank you for those tips. I think i was in a position where I was being offered credit, we had moved to a new build home I was on maternity leave and I wanted to be seen as helping out more. The only thing I can say is this last year I’ve developed less of a desire for possessions and more desire for quality time and making memories. I hope that’s enough to put a stop on those bad spending habits.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    If I was you I would not keep the 2k.
    I would pay off as much as possible to the debt.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,331 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    I would pay off everything apart than the biggest CC.
    Still leaves you with 800 quid & you can build on that.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    pay off 5k to debt then build up some savings with the £ you now use for repaying said debt.
  • tealady
    tealady Posts: 3,744 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Another vote for paying off every debt. You can the put some of the money you were paying your debts with to start saving. I find it helps to think of savings as a "debt" to be paid.
    Find out who you are and do that on purpose (thanks to Owain Wyn Jones quoting Dolly Parton)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure