Should I quit the big weekly shop?

Options
I’ve been doing my shopping once a week for YEARS now and have a 6 month delivery pass as I don’t drive. It often costs me over £55 p/w plus £5.83 p/m delivery.

A Co-op opened down the road from me and I find I nip in there often now and my big shop has become more of a junk food shop. I’m considering stopping the big shop.

I’m worried though that I’ll end up spending way more if I just go to the shop whenever I need to.

Should I quit my weekly shop?
DEBT: 27/12 £4060 :mad: 6/1 £3906 :beer: 15/1 £3756 :T 30/1 £3700 :cool: 7/2 £3911 :D19/4 £3108.93 :T 31/5 £3095.12
May Challenge £5 a day: £5.41 / £155 June Challenge £5 a day: £22.25 / £155
WON 2015: £50 Argos voucher, Xbox One, 2 cinema tickets, £10 Amazon voucher

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have lived in my home for 8 years and never done what you call a weekly shop. I buy things when they are on offer, when I need them for recipes, for day 2 day (milk, f&v, yoghurt, eggs) and yellow stickers. Most of my meat in my freezer has a yellow sticker on them. Also got loads of store cupboard stuff.

Currently, I am getting £8 off £40 off Tesco and you can use them against alcohol and clothing (even the coupon says it excludes them) if you go through a self scan or scan n go. As I have purchased a bottle of spirits on one shop and some beer last week.

I live alone - that may make things different.
  • alanq
    alanq Posts: 4,216 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    ASDA's midweek delivery pass is £24 per year and I find that the ASDA Price Guarantee more than pays for that.

So if you were paying just £2 per month for deliveries (each at least £40) you would still get you money's worth with say fortnightly deliveries of those things you choose not to carry home yourself. Those need not be junk foods.
  • HermioneGranger
    Options
    The more often you go to a shop the more you spend, so for a lot of people going once a week means spending less than going to get top ups. I should take my own advice...
  • ChrisK....._3
    Options
    We buy in bulk when it's on offer - We buy everything when we needs some more - Its difficult to put a $ figure on 'convenience' and 'freshness' so who are we to say
    If I ruled the world.......
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Options
    The co-op's expensive, so you'd need to sit and work out how much your groceries will cost. It sounds like you need to meal plan and stop buying junk food.
  • Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The co-op's expensive, so you'd need to sit and work out how much your groceries will cost. It sounds like you need to meal plan and stop buying junk food.

I'll second this. I reckon sticking to menu and a shopping list are likely to save you more than whether you do or don't do a weekly shop. If you don't do either and just buy as and when, that may mean less time planning but you may pay extra for the ad hoc convenience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure