Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Mortgage free on 1 house or smaller mortgages on both

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
1 reply 566 views
sst1234sst1234 Forumite
113 Posts
100 Posts Third Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
Hi

I’m looking for some advice on how to use some savings that I have painstakingly built up for our next move. There has been some very frugal living to prepare for our next move. The savings, around £43000, would give us 67% LTV including equity from our current house. The other option is to use these savings to pay off a buy to let property which has an 8.5 year mortgage left to run. This would mean we only have 75% LTV when we move next year.

I’m weighing up the pros and cons and a little confused about the best course of action. Having a mortgage free rental property will save me around £98 in interest to begin with, reducing with time over the next 9 years. On the other hand, having a larger mortgage on a residential property feels like an enormous commitment.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    76.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I have no idea at all but bumping for you :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    MFW. Finally mortgage free February 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
This discussion has been closed.