Iceland: double 10% cashback on bonus card top-ups

Stuart_W
Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
The Iceland Bonus card offers a curious "savings" feature which I've posted about in the past. You can top it up in store or online and instantly (well a couple of minutes later) get £1 added for every £20 topped up - so worth doing just before a shop to instantly save.

They are currently running a promotion where you get a bonus 5% "cashback" for all top-ups during June. This is in addition to the usual £1 for every £20 saved.

http://www.iceland.co.uk/bonus-card/savings-cashback

The bonus cashback will be added at the beginning of July and must be spent during July or it disappears, but it will be taken off the card balance first before the "real money" so you only need to do one shop to spend it.

Eg - top up £100 today
Your savings balance becomes £105 immediately.
£5 "savings cashback" added to your card by 5th July at the latest.
You have £110 balance available to spend on your card - the first £5 must be spent by 31st July.

Any regular iceland shopper with any capacity on an interest free purchases credit card should top up their bonus card with as much as they think they might spend for the rest of the year. (Probably got time to apply for one, promotion runs to 30th June).

I shop like this anyway for the usual 5% cashback - I always top up in units of £20 just before I do a shop, usually a £40 or £60 top up.

Comments

• Stuart_W
    Stuart_W Posts: 1,731 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 June 2018 at 2:50PM
    Just a quick heads up that this offer ends on Saturday. Any top ups to an Iceland Bonus card by then will count.

I've topped up by £900 using my Sainsbury credit card which still has 24 months of interest free period left, and I'll just pay it off in bits as I spend it off the card. Still only commits me to one Iceland shop a month as I tend to spend about £40 a time (will probably end up doing much more than this) - and I'm not having to pay up front thanks to the Sainsbury Credit Card.

I've already spent the instant £45 free credit (the usual £1 for every £20 top up) and will get another £45 credit added by 5th July.

Fairly easy way to get £90 worth of free food.

Also managed to get 1% quidco cashback on the online topup and then again 1% cashback when I do an actual shop and pay using the bonus card - so if that rate stays that's another £18 cashback overall.

Of course all this is only worth doing for folk that know they will be shopping at Iceland regularly. I pick and choose what I get from Iceland and what I don't (some stuff great value, other stuff not so much). I will still shop elsewhere when cheaper/more convenient. Sadly, in my case, I know the whole £990 will have been spent well before the interest free period on the credit card ends! (The max balance on a Bonus card is £1,000 so I decided not to top up any more than £900 to leave space for the £90 free credit).

Have yet to find anyone else that does this, but it definitely works for me. :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure