Bank Account Fraud

Im gonna try and tell this story as best as i can , about 6 or 7 months ago fraud was committed on my account (and no i didn't know about it , since it was done by my own family member). Long story short my younger brother took my credit card and gave it to some money launders who do "AC/ Sqrs" in order for them to put large sums of money into my account and for him to collect it within a couple days. This all happened during the Christmas holidays at which i was at home most of the time and didnt even realise my bank card was gone , plus im currently a student at sixthform and i dont really use my bank account that much since i purchase most my things by cash (hence why i had no clue it was missing).

I realised random payments happening via my online banking on my phone and they were large sums of money like 6k plus by names that i didnt recognise , At this point i tried to find my bank card to figure out what the hell was going on . He later confessed to me and told me that he had given it to some people that had contacted him through Instagram scamming him by telling him that he would get a large sum of money if he gave the guy a bank card (He doesnt have a bank card so he used mine instead).

I was quite anrgy with him and a couple days later i started receiving notices from the bank telling me that fraud was done on my bank account and that it would be closing. I obviously cant rat him out since hes my younger brother and clearly didnt know what he was doing so i went to the bank in order to confirm that it was shutting down and i withdrew the legitimate money that i had that was in there.

The bank didnt tell me whether i had a cfias marker put on there or not and they didnt really give me any other information as its "out of there hands" now. from my research ive learned that the CIFAS marker will be on my account for about 6 years . Im wondering whether its possible to open a new bank account , perhaps a basic one since ill be need one since ill be leaving for uni in about a year

Sorry for how long this is , but i really need some help. I dont know what i should do to solve this

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Only chance you have of clearing your name and removing the cifas marker is to report the fraud by your brother to the police.

Otherwise it looks like you were complicit with the Fraud (it was done with your knowledge)
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • CakeCrusader
    CakeCrusader Posts: 1,118 Forumite
    Browntoa wrote: »
    Only chance you have of clearing your name and removing the cifas marker is to report the fraud by your brother to the police.

Otherwise it looks like you were complicit with the Fraud (it was done with your knowledge)

Browntoa's quite right, the only thing you can do is report this to the Police.
  • Browntoa wrote: »

I really couldnt do that to him , i mean i know it was stupid but hes just a kid . i know that CIFAS maker cant be removed anytime soon but is there any way i could open at least a basic bank account ?
  • CakeCrusader
    I really cant do that to him , i mean he was young and naive Is there any way i could still open a bank account ? I know im not gonna get that CIFAS mark removed anytime soon but could i still open at least a basic account ?

You could try an online bank, but I'm looking at the moment and high street banks look like a no-go. It's possible to open one but they will close it as soon as they spot the marker, so you'll be wasting your time. You need to think about what sort of job you're planning on going into too, as you'll be blocked from some because of this, especially those in the financial services.

Young and naive he may be, but you're the one who's having the problems.
  • John_Jones
    John_Jones Posts: 208 Forumite
    I really couldnt do that to him , i mean i know it was stupid but hes just a kid . i know that CIFAS maker cant be removed anytime soon but is there any way i could open at least a basic bank account ?
    Not likely. You have facilitated serious crime, and will be frozen out of the mainstream financial system for some time.

I assume you never want a mortgage?

It is quite likely that the police will be involved when the victims of the scam report it, and the bank gives you up. Will you then take the blame?
  • CakeCrusader
    This might help; http://legalbeagles.info/forums/forum/money-debt/banks-and-building-societies/68114-advice-please-cifas

You could give a building society a try, they may not do a credit check (don't ask for an overdraft!) if you want a normal cash point card. There's some more information at the bottom of the link.
  • Thankyou for the link , it seems like this stuff happens to a lot of young people than i thought. I tried filling an online application for Natwest which is a building society bank but they rejected me on the grounds that i didnt "fit the criteria" which im guessing is probably about the CIFAS maker

Anyways i will check others
  • CakeCrusader
    Thankyou for the link , it seems like this stuff happens to a lot of young people than i thought. I tried filling an online application for Natwest which is a building society bank but they rejected me on the grounds that i didnt "fit the criteria" which im guessing is probably about the CIFAS maker

Anyways i will check others

Natwest isn't a building society bank, nor is TSB, Barclays, Lloyds. It might be worth popping in and asking about a basics account, it's a good idea to get some help with the marker though. If there's a Law Centre close to you, you'd be wise to pop in for a chat.
  • alright thankyou , I will do , if i stand a chance of getting this removed. once again thanks for the help
  • Ben8282
    Ben8282 Posts: 4,821 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Newshound!
    This post has nothing to do with stoozing.
    If all this happened at Christmas why wait until now to mention it.
    Despite the inconsistency of your saying in the third line that it was your credit card that was taken, your strange phrasing 'student at sizthform' and your belief that Natwest is a building society, you do need to do something about this.
    Have you actually checked at any time over the last 6 months that a CIFAS marker has actually been placed on your credit files? It appears so far to be nothing but an assumption. The refusal of Natwest to open a current account for you could be the fact that, as a Sixth Form student, you have no income and presumably no credit history, rather that the existence of a CIFAS marker.
    Were you actually 18 when the incident occurred? If you were not you may escape the CIFAS marker as a minor should have no credit files as they should not have any credit agreements.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure