20 replies 34.9K views
2»

Replies

• wondercolliewondercollie Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Sncjw wrote: »
    They will need to ensure your ok for it. Also depending on surgery they need to do some tests to make sure the surgery goes well.

You will likely need Mrsa swabs If they come back positive you will need to do the treatment before given a date.

It!!!8217;s just to check your ok and prevents slots being booked for people who can!!!8217;t go ahead and not being able to use them for people who can.

They may give you a date there. Each hospital is different

MRSA swabs? We only do them if you have been admitted as an in patient in the last three months. Treatment? Not that simple. You have to have three clear sets of swabs before you are deemed cleared. What does happen is you are admitted as an "isolation" patient and scheduled for the last OR slot of the day, in order that the theatre can be deep cleaned after use.

Having said that, hospitals in the US aren't isolating MRSA patients any longer.

You do realize that you can pick up MRSA in gyms, locker rooms, jails, and from supermarket shopping cart handles?
  • SncjwSncjw Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wondercollie are you from the usa.

I know how the mrsa thing works In the UK as I have worked in hospitals.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Wondercollie are you from the usa.

I know how the mrsa thing works In the UK as I have worked in hospitals.

Nope. Canada and Spain.
  • SncjwSncjw Forumite
    2.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well this is a UK based website so the op would be talking about the nhs not hospitals in Canada and Spain.
    1.5K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Well this is a UK based website so the op would be talking about the nhs not hospitals in Canada and Spain.

Pre admission screening is pretty much the same the world over.

A couple of my coworkers are UK educated nurses and have read your post and disagree.

So, my opinion and theirs is valid. Your point of only having MRSA free patients in for surgery is ridiculous.
  • CyclizineCyclizine Forumite
    109 posts
    Third Anniversary
    You'll likely get your date after the pre-operative assessment clinic, where your fitness for surgery is assessed. You may pass this with flying colours or it may pick up issues that need optimising prior to surgery, either requiring new investigations, procedures or investigations - these obviously take time, so giving a date that ends up changing due to an issue at the POAC is a bit pointless.
  • elainemcbelainemcb Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I had a pre op assessment 4 weeks ago and not heard anything yet. I’m waiting fir a hip replacement I hope it’s sooner rather than later 
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    10.7K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My husband has had  an MRSA swab done at every pre op appointment.
  • justworriedabitjustworriedabit Forumite
    916 posts
    500 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    Usually pretty soon after pre-op appt you get the date depending on the urgency. I had one in June last year and covid swabs two days before. If you are worried phone and ask.
  • teddysmumteddysmum Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have been told that I am on the surgery list, but who knows when an op will be given the reluctance to chance covid infection ?

I had a second MRI as the surgeon suspects that I may have more than one vertebral disc involved, so he was to see me for an elective surgery consult on Monday, but the appointment was cancelled as someone put me in the wrong clinic . I don't think it would have been a pre op health check, as the timescale is unknown.