PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Dietary Meal Planning - Help

Options
Hi All

My 21 year old daughter is coeliac meaning she has to avoid all gluten. She also has additional health problems which mean she has to follow a low fibre diet. Onions are a no no so we use onion powder for the flavour. Tomatoes are a no no but we use passata in sauces and that is ok. Peppers are ok when peeled. Basically if it grows under the ground and can be peeled it is ok. So all a bit tricky around fruit and veg and salad. As a family we enjoy food and have always had a varied diet. However these two things combined make it hard to get much variety and I wondered if any of you wonderful people had any suggestions to help me so I can get shake things up a bit. Looking for ideas for dinners and packed lunches. TIA

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Sorry nobody has answered you Shirley.
  • JingsMyBucket
    Options
    Shirley, how severe is her condition? Is it literally down to the last speck and you have to keep the kitchen clean? Or is it more so, can’t eat it but foods can vaguely cohabitate next to another?
  • JIL
    JIL Posts: 8,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Would it be possible to post a list of food that can be eaten, that may make it easier to think up some ideas? Can pasta be eaten for example or can you make a shepherd's pie but no onion?
    Sorry if I am missing something but struggling a little.
  • juliesname
    juliesname Posts: 53 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It depends what kind of food you like, traditional? modern? exotic?

White sauce/cheese sauce can be made with cornflour (which is maize aka sweetcorn), as can gravies. Rice is g-free, so are potatoes. Some g-free substitute flours, breads and pasta are made from rice and potato, others have maize in.

Casseroles/risotto/kedgeree/moussaka with potato not aubergine/fish without batter/chips/roast dinner/bacon and egg? Lunches frittata/rice salad/potato salad - if mayonnaise is out try cottage cheese instead?

hth
  • shirleytch
    shirleytch Posts: 231 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Jingsmybucket. We try to keep the kitchen clean and are very good on the coeliac diet I guess my problems multiplied when she was ill last year. She had an ileostomy and has scar tissue which means she can have a blockage when she eats fibre which is extremely painful and has resulted in a hospital admission on a couple of occasions. It is hard as we are a family who enjoy good, tasty food and I feel that our options are being downscaled all the time. We will get there. I was just really fed up when I wrote my post and as you guys on here are all so supportive and inspirational I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas. Tx for reply
  • shirleytch
    Options
    JIL wrote: »
    Would it be possible to post a list of food that can be eaten, that may make it easier to think up some ideas? Can pasta be eaten for example or can you make a shepherd's pie but no onion?
    Sorry if I am missing something but struggling a little.

Hi Jil - yes gluten free pasta is one staple. We do make up meals that require onion and use onion powder for flavor. I struggle more with her packed lunch. She is not keen on gluten free bread - have tried many suppliers and none quite make the mark. Salad does not really agree with her. Pasta salads and pots and frittata have been tried. Also heated up left overs. To be honest I am resourceful just wondered if anyone was in a similar situation and had any brainwaves I had not conserved. Thanks
  • shirleytch
    Options
    juliesname wrote: »
    It depends what kind of food you like, traditional? modern? exotic?

White sauce/cheese sauce can be made with cornflour (which is maize aka sweetcorn), as can gravies. Rice is g-free, so are potatoes. Some g-free substitute flours, breads and pasta are made from rice and potato, others have maize in.

Casseroles/risotto/kedgeree/moussaka with potato not aubergine/fish without batter/chips/roast dinner/bacon and egg? Lunches frittata/rice salad/potato salad - if mayonnaise is out try cottage cheese instead?

hth

Hi Julie - thanks for your reply. We have a varied diet - like good tasty food often spicy. I use cornflour for sauces and to thicken things. Mousakka is a good idea will give that a whirl. Thanks for taking the time to reply. Shirley
  • sm1971
    sm1971 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Can I recommend my friend's blog https://willweevereatoutagain.blogspot.com/? She describes it as 'Honest, warts and all account of life as a mum to a coeliac child and wife to a crohns disease warrior. Attempting (& usually failing) to combine a gluten free and low fibre diet!'

Hope it helps!
  • shirleytch
    edited 4 June 2018 at 12:16PM
    Options
    sm1971 wrote: »
    Can I recommend my friend's blog https://willweevereatoutagain.blogspot.com/? She describes it as 'Honest, warts and all account of life as a mum to a coeliac child and wife to a crohns disease warrior. Attempting (& usually failing) to combine a gluten free and low fibre diet!'

Hope it helps!

Sounds like your friend is fighting a similar battle to me. I just read her blog and love it I love she keeps her humour and she made me smile as I read. Thanks so much for sharing. I will continue to follow her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure