IMPORTANT REMINDER: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information. If you are uploading images, please take extra care that you have redacted all personal information.

The CCJ Myth and threats and lies told by debt collectors and PPC's .. EXPOSED

edited 23 June 2018 at 11:15AM in Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking
51 replies 12.4K views

Replies

• Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Umkomaas wrote: »
    That's going to take some definition - and ongoing argument!

If their collection agents were regulated they would have to comply with rules regarding the treatment of vulnerable people.

I don't quite know how the PPC's would get around the driver/keeper issue if their collection agents were regulated. In fact you could say that regulation would open up a whole can of worms for the PPC's and their agents.

The BPA and IPC codes of practice state that their agents should act with professionalism. The only way to do this is to regulate them.

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    36.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a definition of 'vulnerable'?

Probably no more or less available than a definition of 'professionalism'!
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • edited 13 March 2019 at 2:38PM
    NeilCrNeilCr Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 March 2019 at 2:38PM
    Is there a definition of 'vulnerable'?

Probably no more or less available than a definition of 'professionalism'!

These are some of the "rules" for bailiffs.

I'd say it would be a good starting point

https://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/BailiffsVulnerableHouseholds.htm
  • UmkomaasUmkomaas Forumite
    36.3K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NeilCr wrote: »
    These are some of the "rules" for bailiffs.

I'd say it would be a good starting point

https://www.dealingwithbailiffs.co.uk/BailiffsVulnerableHouseholds.htm
    Some groups who might be vulnerable are listed below. However, this list is not exhaustive. Care should be taken to assess each situation on a case by case basis.

i) the elderly;

ii) people with a disability;

iii) the seriously ill;

iv) the recently bereaved;

v) single parent families;

vi) pregnant women;

vii) unemployed people; and,

viii) those who have obvious difficulty in understanding, speaking or reading English.
    Well that list probably covers a huge swathe of the people presenting here! :D

Free parking for all shortly! :rotfl:
    Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .
    I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.
    Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
  • NeilCrNeilCr Forumite
    4.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well that list probably covers a huge swathe of the people presenting here! :D

Free parking for all shortly! :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl:

Age sometimes is mentioned, too. Under 18 and over 65. So I am vulnerable (wrong end of the scale, though).

:beer::beer::beer:
  • Snakes_BellySnakes_Belly Forumite
    3K Posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    All financial institutions that are regulated under the F.C.A. have to comply

Nolite te bast--des carborundorum.
  • PurpleSalsaPurpleSalsa Forumite
    4 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hello, Im new to the forum, I have tried to read as much as I can on the Newbie thread, so rather than posting a new thread, I shall ask here as I think this thread is closest to my problem.

I had a pcn after mistakenly overstaying parking (I thought it was free all day on sunday-it wasnt)
    I got lots of letters from parking eye and threats about ccj. I ignored them as I didnt think they could enforce the charge. I got a letter about a ccj in Feb 2017, I ignored it (stupidly didnt think to check this forum) the paper looked flimsy and the county court stamp looked dodgy so I thought it was another scam. I realise from checking my credit score since, it wasnt.
    The 'debt' was £197.
    Recently I got more letters from DCBL implying they were going to 'cant pay well take it away', I got fed up of the letters and thought OK I shall suck it up and pay in installments, i sent them a cheque for £37 and a letter promising to pay £20 per month thereafter until the 'debt' is paid off.
    Since then I have had 2 more letters (ignoring my letter) 'escalating' to a final notice of debt recovery wanting me to call them 'to discuss the repayment' and saying they are recommending to their client "further legal recovery action". They have cashed my £30 cheque though as the 'debt' is now down to £160.
    I have no desire to speak to these lying scumbags, there is also no point in me paying £220 (more than the debt) to court for set aside of CCJ as I already have a credit card and I dont need a loan or another mortgage.
    What further legal recovery action can they take? Should I be worried?
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    there is also no point in me paying £220 (more than the debt) to court for set aside of CCJ as I already have a credit card and I dont need a loan or another mortgage.
    You will never want a new phone contract within 6 years?
    What further legal recovery action can they take?
    Bailiffs to your house as this is a CCJ being enforced. And you promised to pay:
    i sent them a cheque for £37 and a letter promising to pay £20 per month thereafter until the 'debt' is paid off.
    Since then I have had 2 more letters (ignoring my letter) 'escalating' to a final notice of debt recovery wanting me to call them 'to discuss the repayment' and saying they are recommending to their client "further legal recovery action". They have cashed my £30 cheque though as the 'debt' is now down to £160.
    IMHO, you are stuck with paying it all as you made a legal promise.

To think this could have been cancelled early doors by the landowner or on appeal to POPLA. A lesson not to ignore PCNs that are easy enough to see off at the outset.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • PurpleSalsaPurpleSalsa Forumite
    4 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you for your reply @Coupon-mad, Yes, with the spectacles of hindsight :o and had I known sooner about this forum, yes I could have fought back, but I was ignorant of the law, and didnt know where to find good information at the time. I listened to a friend who had been in a similar situation instead. (I dont blame him for misinforming me BTW, he was as surprised as me that the CCJ from Northampton was "real" )
    You will never want a new phone contract within 6 years?

I just got a new phone contract actually with no problem at all.
    Bailiffs to your house as this is a CCJ being enforced. And you promised to pay:
    Im actually quite happy to pay off the 'debt' tbh, (The decision to do that was mine and I own it) I'd really like these letters to stop.:cry:

What I would like guidance on please is : can they still threaten me with enforcement for immediate full sum right now since I made a promise to pay a monthly sum and I have kept my promise?

I assume further enforcement is further legal action? as the 'final notice of debt recovery' letter says (on the back) "not subject to high court or bailiff action"

If there is further legal action Id be quite happy to supply the court with the evidence of my promise to pay and my payment history....It wouldn't really make sense for them to rule against me in that context, but I guess it could happen??
  • Coupon-madCoupon-mad
    105.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    can they still threaten me with enforcement for immediate full sum right now since I made a promise to pay a monthly sum and I have kept my promise?
    They can, but I doubt they will, as it's not worth their while if you are paying it.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides