SolarEdge dashboard issue!

Just retruned home from a weekend away to discover that the SolarEdge dashboard ceased recording after 8am this morning, thus showing only 3.69kwh for the day till then. The inverter is confirming current output around 6kwh so presumably the signals are either not getting through or there's a malfunction further down the line. Would contact the installers but it's bank holiday so no one in. Just wondered if any one else had suffered similarly now or in the past?
East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.

Comments

• Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have had the same before. It might be that the inverter is no longer talking to the computer (wifi). You can scroll through the options on the inverter and re-enter the wifi code ..... if that's the problem.

It's not a fun job entering the code with just 3 buttons, but do-able. Do you have a little red (and white) instruction book?

The good news is that the inverters can store a lot of data and update the records later. I think they can hold nearly a month of data in the winter, and about half that in the summer (as there is longer generation, so more data).
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Coastalwatch Posts: 3,137 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I have had the same before. It might be that the inverter is no longer talking to the computer (wifi). You can scroll through the options on the inverter and re-enter the wifi code ..... if that's the problem.

It's not a fun job entering the code with just 3 buttons, but do-able. Do you have a little red (and white) instruction book?

The good news is that the inverters can store a lot of data and update the records later. I think they can hold nearly a month of data in the winter, and about half that in the summer (as there is longer generation, so more data).

Hi Mart,

Thanks for that, glad to learn the Inverter stores information, so it would appear that there's no immediate rush to resolve! Reckon I'll contact the installer in the morning in the hope they can sort it, or at least talk me through any button sequence/s.
    I do have the little red book, but having scanned it's pages and knowing my limitations on following instructions then I'll hold fire from attempting to follow them for now.
    It's a little frustrating as it's been wall to wall sunshine today and was looking forward to perhaps the best day yet for generation.
    Certainly sounds feasible that wifi may have dropped out, perhaps I'll be able to confirm tomorrow!

Thanks again.:)
    East coast, lat 51.97. 8.26kw SSE, 23° pitch + 0.59kw WSW vertical. Nissan Leaf plus Zappi charger and 2 x ASHP's. Givenergy 8.2 & 9.5 kWh batts, 2 x 3 kW ac inverters. Indra V2H . CoCharger Host, Interest in Ripple Energy & Abundance.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    I have had this problem a few times. The first being in 2014 when we went on Holiday and turned the router off. The inverter stored 14 days of info which it communicated to the dashboard when we plugged it in after returning home. We lost 3 days information.

Do you have a big white plug near your inverter with 3 lights on it? Mine says OnNetworks on it. You should have another one in the house. I have found that occasionally needs unplugging or switching off for overnight then turn it back on in the morning and it will send the info on.
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

• Coastalwatch
    Merlin139 wrote: »
    I have had this problem a few times. The first being in 2014 when we went on Holiday and turned the router off. The inverter stored 14 days of info which it communicated to the dashboard when we plugged it in after returning home. We lost 3 days information.

Do you have a big white plug near your inverter with 3 lights on it? Mine says OnNetworks on it. You should have another one in the house. I have found that occasionally needs unplugging or switching off for overnight then turn it back on in the morning and it will send the info on.

Thanks for taking an interest. I've been out to the installation and there was no white box, but there is a Wifi aerial. When I logged on this morning yesterdays generation had been uploaded and early consumption for today was showing up until 06.29!
    Strangely, I've just put the phone down after speaking to Greenscape, our installers, and they asked the same question, re the white box. So, it appears communication is by Wifi and because of the combination of distance and walls between the installation and router feel a booster is required. They are booked to come Tuesday morning of next week(It's the Suffolk Show tomorrow and Thursday so quite understandably they've other priorities at present).
    Fingers crossed that will be the problem solved, so thanks both for your suggestions.

By the way it was another good day with 6.4 O's generated!:)
  • EricMears
    EricMears Posts: 3,232 Forumite
    . . . . So, it appears communication is by Wifi and because of the combination of distance and walls between the installation and router feel a booster is required.

If it was working OK for several weeks (months ?) then stopped, it seems a bit strange to suggest you need a booster !
    NE Derbyshire.4kWp S Facing 17.5deg slope (dormer roof).24kWh of Pylontech batteries with Lux controller BEV : Hyundai Ioniq5
  • Martyn1981
    Martyn1981 Posts: 14,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Thanks for taking an interest. I've been out to the installation and there was no white box, but there is a Wifi aerial. When I logged on this morning yesterdays generation had been uploaded and early consumption for today was showing up until 06.29!
    Strangely, I've just put the phone down after speaking to Greenscape, our installers, and they asked the same question, re the white box. So, it appears communication is by Wifi and because of the combination of distance and walls between the installation and router feel a booster is required. They are booked to come Tuesday morning of next week(It's the Suffolk Show tomorrow and Thursday so quite understandably they've other priorities at present).
    Fingers crossed that will be the problem solved, so thanks both for your suggestions.

By the way it was another good day with 6.4 O's generated!:)

I can't remember when (last year sometime) but my Wifi Solaredge inverter (I also have one connected via those plug in thingies!) simply dropped out. That's when I fixed it .... **cough** ..... assisted my wife (the alpha geek) to re-enter the Wifi code on the inverter via the 3 buttons and info screen. It hasn't dropped out since.

Your problem sounds similar, but of course, that could just be a coincidence.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
  • Coastalwatch
    Martyn1981 wrote: »
    I can't remember when (last year sometime) but my Wifi Solaredge inverter (I also have one connected via those plug in thingies!) simply dropped out. That's when I fixed it .... **cough** ..... assisted my wife (the alpha geek) to re-enter the Wifi code on the inverter via the 3 buttons and info screen. It hasn't dropped out since.

Your problem sounds similar, but of course, that could just be a coincidence.

Thanks indeed Mart & Eric, you both raise very good points. Afraid I have no Alpha geek to assist with Wifi code and button pressing, but I did scroll through the options, stumbling across the Wifi section which stated Wifi ok. Mind you the Portal still showed the last report being at 06.29am some four hours before and it's not resumed since.

When the system was installed, a month ago the engineer did have problems getting the Wifi communication functioning. But there have been no issues with it until this last weekend.
    It will be interesting to see whether the Inverter downloads the necessary info overnight tonight and indeed whether normal reporting commences tomorrow morning. Can't understand why comm's should exist in the early hours but come to a stop around breakfast time?
  • theboylard
    theboylard Posts: 1,206 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Buy a pair of cheap homeplugs/Powerline adapters.
    Don't need anything fast as it's all low level comms, so a budget pair will do.

Don't turn your router off, change the default password too.
    4kWp, SSE, SolarEdge P300 optimisers & SE3500 Inverter, in occasionally sunny Corby, Northants.
    Now with added Sunsynk 5kw hybrid ecco inverter & 15kWh Fogstar batteries. Oh Octopus Energy too.
  • Coastalwatch
    Yesterdays generation updated overnight and the system is operating normally again today.

Didn't know if the recent electrical storms may have had some effect upon the comms system? But if no one else has had a similar problem then it seems unlikely!

Thanks boylard for your input, I'll certainly take it on board.

I'm looking forward to Tuesday when a signal booster is to be fitted. Having been advised to press the ok button only to activate the output screen I'll perhaps have the opportunity to become familiar with screen display navigation from the installer then!
  • Coastalwatch
    No reporting again all day for yesterday, but back on again today with a healthy 4 O's so far. Just looking back to Mays productivity then it's total alone amounted to over 50% of our past annual consumption. Consumption from the grid for May amounted to 70kwh as opposed to last years figure of 186kwh. It sounds a reasonable saving, but at this time of year when the panels start generating around 6am and continue through until 8pm then perhaps we need to look more closely at what we are using and when. But what a start to our lives with solar panels.:j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure