We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

MSE News: Tesco removes best-before dates to cut food waste

Options
2»

Comments

• KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,646 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I buy fruit & veg regularly at local market so this anger about removing dates is beyond me.

Nothing comes with a date there and the majority is loose.

They have set prices (ie 3lb of new potatoes for £2) but are always happy to sell me a smaller quantity for the proportional price.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There would be a lot less waste in vegetables were sold loose instead of being wrapped in plastic which not only makes them sweat, but also means (some) people buy more than they want/need. Even Morrisons "Wonky" fruit and veg is sold in quantities that many won't use before it's past its best anyway.

What happened to loose brussels sprouts, mushrooms, Jersey potatoes, etc. etc. etc. in supermarkets? My local farm shop is worth the short journey to buy just the quantity I want, and there's no waste, no plastic bags and everything is fresh - doesn't need the ridiculous best before dates as the chap sells out of everything by the end of each day.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 13,193 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Tesco may have calculated that this will also benefit them but if it means supermarkets avoiding binning edible food that has been bypassed by customers then it will cut food waste. Its likely there will be a coded date on the bag and a limit to how long items will be displayed.
    badmemory wrote: »
    The big problem will be when we learn that we cannot even pretend to trust them to remove their stock by even days after their coded date has passed. We won't be able to prove that it is the stuff we bought this morning not the ones we bought last week that is already past eating.
    Doc_N wrote: »
    Having switched from Lidl to Aldi because Aldi started (not long ago) putting dates on their fresh produce, and Lidl won't, this means I'm even less likely to buy fresh produce at Tesco.

This is plain deceit by Tesco because they don't like customers taking the fresher stuff instead of the staler stuff - concealing dates and replacing them with codes (claiming that it's really for the customers) is a typically sneaky Tesco trick and I hope it backfires on them.

Have you all actually READ the article at the top of the thread ?

It says that

"The supermarket says customers may find it confusing having both a best-before and use-by date on the same product and so it will only use the latter."

No mention of cryptic codes only decipherable by staff as a plot for Tesco to keep feeding it's customer stock past it's best, as many of you appear to think is happening.

Simply a single date that the product should be used by, that should therefore be able to be used by customers to select the freshest from stock
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 8,086 Forumite
    Options
    I've never actually seen a use by date & a best before date on the same product. It is an either or situation. Use by date "normally" applies to meat & fish, best before is normal for veg. The article actually only mentions removing best before dates because we are all too stupid to realise that there is a difference between the words "best before" & "use by".

I have no objection to them removing the best before date as long as they replace it with something which gives me some idea how long it has been packaged/stuck on the shelf for. To repeat, their stock rotation is often less than optimal & therefore I am sceptical that this is anything other than lets try to save money by not having to sell this stock off or even in dire straits give to charity/food banks.
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    p00hsticks wrote: »
    Have you all actually READ the article at the top of the thread ?

It says that

"The supermarket says customers may find it confusing having both a best-before and use-by date on the same product and so it will only use the latter."

No mention of cryptic codes only decipherable by staff as a plot for Tesco to keep feeding it's customer stock past it's best, as many of you appear to think is happening.

Simply a single date that the product should be used by, that should therefore be able to be used by customers to select the freshest from stock

To use your terminology, have you actually READ the Tesco News Release:

https://www.tescoplc.com/news/news-releases/2018/tesco-best-before/

Or maybe the BBC comment:

The supermarket said that although customers would no longer be able to differentiate between bags of produce to determine how fresh they were at purchase, there were "rigorous stock rotation procedures in place" to ensure older items did not remain on shelves.

Or the article to which you refer, which doesn't say what you think it does.

There will be no dates on the packaging - no 'best before' date, and no 'use by' date. No way of knowing (unless you can interpret the code which will have to be there for Tesco's own purposes) how fresh, or stale, the produce is.

I distrust Tesco intensely, and I doubt I'm alone in that view. That's why I, and others, take a cynical view of this action and see it as a means of allowing Tesco to get away with selling more of the produce that customers are currently discarding in favour of fresher items.
  • LadyDee
    LadyDee Posts: 4,293 Forumite
    Options
    If Tesco think their customers are stupid enough to be confused by the two different dating methods, they must think they're doubly stupid to fall for this type of ploy. As I only buy my petrol from Tesco and the occasional carton of milk I am not personally affected but surely nobody in their right mind will actually believe the tripe being quoted?
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    LadyDee wrote: »
    If Tesco think their customers are stupid enough to be confused by the two different dating methods, they must think they're doubly stupid to fall for this type of ploy. As I only buy my petrol from Tesco and the occasional carton of milk I am not personally affected but surely nobody in their right mind will actually believe the tripe being quoted?

Some will, sadly. They still trust Tesco as a company, despite its history, and somehow believe it puts customers before profits, like some beneficent charitable organisation.

We use a Tesco from time to time for special offers but mainly the Aldi just down the road - far quicker and far cheaper. Loved the comment from two elderly shoppers entering Tesco the other day:

"I'm so glad we don't have to shop at Aldi."
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.7K Travel & Transport