Mobile phone contract ok for BR ???

Options
Going BR in a couple of weeks time and I'm not sure whether I should just include my latest mobile phone bill with the list of creditors and kiss the contract goodbye, OR pay the bill in order to keep the contract going. What I need to know, is will the OR make me cancel my contract anyway and change to pay as you go, in which case I'll be wasting my money if I pay the bill, or will I be allowed to keep my contract ?? :confused:

Help VERY GRATEFULLY received and I hope that this will be of help to others too.

Bethany x

Comments

• cinnabar
    cinnabar Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    I didn't put my mobile provider down as I wasn't in arrears to them. So far, neither they nor the OR has said anything about ending the contract. How big is your bill? If it's not too massive and you can afford to pay it before BR, it's probably worth a shot as I think it's fairly unlikely you'll lose it, going by what I've read on hear.
  • hanspans
    hanspans Posts: 177 Forumite
    Options
    i am putting mine down as i can't afford to pay now anyway, so it s a good way to get rid of it. think they might be a bit funny about excessive mobile charges as well and may insist you pay this from your surplus cash. hope it helps
    Saving £12k in 2015
    January : £200

:A:A
  • rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I certainly have had no trouble in keeping my mobile contract - I put it down on my I/E but did not mention them as creditors, since I owed them nothing at the time of my bankruptcy.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • wok_boy
    wok_boy Posts: 759 Forumite
    Options
    I put mine down because I was in arrears and had a special arrangement with them up until a month before I decided to go BR, as I was struggling keep up with agreement anyway.
    BR 4/10/07
    ED 11/04/08

BSC Member No 93
  • tigerfeet2006
    tigerfeet2006 Posts: 14,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    hanspans wrote: »
    i am putting mine down as i can't afford to pay now anyway, so it s a good way to get rid of it. think they might be a bit funny about excessive mobile charges as well and may insist you pay this from your surplus cash. hope it helps

Are you in arrears with them? You won't be able to include them if you don't owe them anything.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • hanspans
    Options
    i will be about £50 in arrears when i go bankrupt does that count? thing is the bill is £50 per month and will end in april, and although i am not in arrears right now theere is no room in my budget for £50 a month after i go bk.
    Saving £12k in 2015

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    i will be about £50 in arrears when i go bankrupt does that count? thing is the bill is £50 per month and will end in april, and although i am not in arrears right now theere is no room in my budget for £50 a month after i go bk.

Yes. As long as it is in arrears then no problem.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • hanspans
    Options
    great stuff, a bill just came thru (which i can;t afford to pay) so probably cut off before i go to court
    Saving £12k in 2015

• rog2
    rog2 Posts: 11,650 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    great stuff, a bill just came thru (which i can;t afford to pay) so probably cut off before i go to court

You shouldn't pay it anyway if you intend to include it in your bankruptcy.
    I am NOT, nor do I profess to be, a Qualified Debt Adviser. I have made MANY mistakes and have OFTEN been the unwitting victim of the the shamefull tactics of the Financial Industry.
    If any of my experiences, or the knowledge that I have gained from those experiences, can help anyone who finds themselves in similar circumstances, then my experiences have not been in vain.

HMRC Bankruptcy Statistic - 26th October 2006 - 23rd April 2007 BCSC Member No. 7

DFW Nerd # 166 PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBTS
  • hanspans
    Options
    thanks, i thought so. i'll be glad to get rid of it.
    Saving £12k in 2015

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills