Employer failed to deduct enough income tax...

Options
Hi
I wonder if anyone has any experience with my situation.

The simple version is - a previous employer didn't deduct enough income tax from me and now HMRC want me to pay it.

The long version is - I recently started my own company and as such the HMRC obviously requires me to submit a self assessment tax return for the 2017-2018 tax year.
In the 2017-2018 tax year I started working for Company 1 and left that company in approx June 2017.
I then started working for Company 2 and left that company in March 2018.
I then started my own company in April 2018.
When filling out my tax return the self assessment calculation showed I owe almost £1000 in underpaid tax for that period.
For both Company 1 and Company 2 I was in the higher tax bracket and I have checked both P45s and from a rough calculation it appears that Company 1 deducted approx 13.5% of my income for tax where as Company 2 deducted approx 23% for tax so it's clear (to me at least) that Company 1 is to blame for this?

My question I guess is do I have any legal recourse to get Company 1 to pay the tax?
Now obviously I know the tax should have been paid by me in the first place but one would assume that as I have no control over how their payroll calculated my pay / tax I shouldn't be responsible for HMRC now demanding nearly £1000 in outstanding tax?

Does anyone have any experience / insight to help answer my question?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Comments

• Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,751 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You said it yourself, the tax should have been paid by you originally. You won't be any worse off in paying it and you'll be considered at least as responsible to ensure you're paying the correct tax. Basically you need to pay this and you have no claim against your original company.
  • Dazed_and_confused
    Options
    Have you checked that you actually completed the return correctly?

You are definitely making too big an assumption about employer 1 being the source of the problem.

What tax code were you issued with for 2017:18 and did each employer use this code number?

You really need to post some actual income details for anyone to give more meaningful help. The Self Assessment calculation would also really be needed.
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Takeaway_Addict Posts: 6,538 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    xtheonex wrote: »
    Hi
    I wonder if anyone has any experience with my situation.

The simple version is - a previous employer didn't deduct enough income tax from me and now HMRC want me to pay it.

The long version is - I recently started my own company and as such the HMRC obviously requires me to submit a self assessment tax return for the 2017-2018 tax year.
    In the 2017-2018 tax year I started working for Company 1 and left that company in approx June 2017.
    I then started working for Company 2 and left that company in March 2018.
    I then started my own company in April 2018.
    When filling out my tax return the self assessment calculation showed I owe almost £1000 in underpaid tax for that period.
    For both Company 1 and Company 2 I was in the higher tax bracket and I have checked both P45s and from a rough calculation it appears that Company 1 deducted approx 13.5% of my income for tax where as Company 2 deducted approx 23% for tax so it's clear (to me at least) that Company 1 is to blame for this?

My question I guess is do I have any legal recourse to get Company 1 to pay the tax?
    Now obviously I know the tax should have been paid by me in the first place but one would assume that as I have no control over how their payroll calculated my pay / tax I shouldn't be responsible for HMRC now demanding nearly £1000 in outstanding tax?

Does anyone have any experience / insight to help answer my question?

Thanks in advance,
    Dave
    Ultimately you are responsible for the tax you pay, the employer is just the collector of the money.

So no- No recourse.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • comeandgo
    comeandgo Posts: 5,744 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    An employer uses the tax code that HMRC advises them to, using the information you have given HMRC. Your tax code is your responsibility, you have to pay the tax.
  • xtheonex
    xtheonex Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the response.

I doubt I can get this self assessment wrong?! During the 2017-2018 tax year I only had income from 2 jobs and both of those were full time employment on the PAYE payroll so essentially all I have to do is enter the "total income" and "total tax" figures from both my P45s and that's it right?

Both employers used the same tax code (1150L) and at both roles I was in the higher tax bracket.

In terms of figures from the P45...
    Company 1 - Total Pay 11,753.02 - Total Tax 1,583.02
    Company 2 - Total Pay 53,579.68 - Total Tax 12,260.54

Thanks again,
    Dave
    Have you checked that you actually completed the return correctly?

You are definitely making too big an assumption about employer 1 being the source of the problem.

What tax code were you issued with for 2017:18 and did each employer use this code number?

You really need to post some actual income details for anyone to give more meaningful help. The Self Assessment calculation would also really be needed.
  • xtheonex
    Options
    In theory that should be correct but as an employee one has no responsibility for calculating tax or paying it even if one wanted to.
    comeandgo wrote: »
    An employer uses the tax code that HMRC advises them to, using the information you have given HMRC. Your tax code is your responsibility, you have to pay the tax.
  • xtheonex
    Options
    Your theory that I wouldn't be any worse off isn't strictly true because although last year I paid less tax because of someone elses mistakes, this year I'm expected to pay the outstanding tax from last year plus this years taxes. It's especially painful this year as I mentioned I've left my higher rate tax paying role to start my own company where I'll be lucky if I even pay lower rate tax in the first year.
    It doesn't seem fair though does it?! As an employee one has no responsibility for calculating tax or paying it even if one wanted to.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Gavin83 wrote: »
    You said it yourself, the tax should have been paid by you originally. You won't be any worse off in paying it and you'll be considered at least as responsible to ensure you're paying the correct tax. Basically you need to pay this and you have no claim against your original company.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,875 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2018 at 9:11AM
    Options
    Tax on job 1 is correct for a July pay date.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Options
    Mistakes happen. If a company accidentally pays you too much salary you have to pay it back (as is endlessly discussed on here) even in circumstances that can seem very unfair. This is no different.
  • Merlin139
    Merlin139 Posts: 6,860 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If you say company 1 made the mistake then company 2 should have corrected the mistake.

The P45 from company 1 will have shown the details of your earnings up to a set date. Company 2 then take over controlling how much tax you have paid. Any previous tax paid will then have an effect on what you pay with company 2 as the figures should be recalculated each month.

What I cannot quite understand is that if you now work for yourself you obviously are not working that hard if you can sit around moaning about the fact that you now have to pay the taxman money that you have always owed them!
    3.795 kWp Solar PV System. Capital of the Wolds

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport