Debt Spiraling - Need Help Fast.

Options
13»

Comments

• Fingersoffish
    Options
    That's what I need, hot, easy meals. I'll have a look. But it might mean investing in some tuppaware!
  • dionysia
    dionysia Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The food at work definitely has to go. Are you 25 soon? Car insurance might reduce then. Your older child is part of the family and the expenses of seeing him are part of the family budget, so it means less on things like clothes, gifts and entertainment - you and your wife need to be on the same page there or the spiraling will just continue because of trying to spend like the car costs aren't there when they are.

If you can't cut the expenses you have to up the income. Could her family that you're living near help provide some childcare so she can up her hours, or could she get an evening job a couple of nights a week while you're at home with your daughter? If you can't cut the expenses and you can't up the income, then the loan from your parents looks like the only thing that's flexible - I know you don't want to delay this and that's admirable, but otherwise since your expenses are more than your income before any debt repayments are taken into account, the only way you can pay them back is by borrowing money somewhere else.
    June 2017: owe £16,818.
    June 2018: owe £13,263.
  • Fingersoffish
    Options
    dionysia wrote: »
    The food at work definitely has to go. Are you 25 soon? Car insurance might reduce then. Your older child is part of the family and the expenses of seeing him are part of the family budget, so it means less on things like clothes, gifts and entertainment - you and your wife need to be on the same page there or the spiraling will just continue because of trying to spend like the car costs aren't there when they are.

If you can't cut the expenses you have to up the income. Could her family that you're living near help provide some childcare so she can up her hours, or could she get an evening job a couple of nights a week while you're at home with your daughter? If you can't cut the expenses and you can't up the income, then the loan from your parents looks like the only thing that's flexible - I know you don't want to delay this and that's admirable, but otherwise since your expenses are more than your income before any debt repayments are taken into account, the only way you can pay them back is by borrowing money somewhere else.

My plan of action so far is to have a long sit down with the wife tomorrow night and try and iron some things out in that department. The problem we have is for personal reasons we don't trust 90% of her family to babysit for long periods(They are polar opposites of us and the way we raise our daughter), the only one we do is my sister-in-law who works in care and has long shifts etc.

I'm sure she'd be willing to look for an evening job, but the issue is finding someone who'd take her on when she couldn't start work until say 6.30pm.
  • bigisi
    bigisi Posts: 925 Forumite
    Options
    I notice you get the car serviced twice a year. For a vehicle that's doing long journeys as often as you (especially if it's diesel which I suspect it is) would be fine only being serviced once per year. If you're really bothered about it learn how to do an oil change and other basic stuff for the second service and have the full one done once per year.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,904 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    How are you currently servicing the debt repayments ?

As there is not enough money in your income/expenditure to do so.

Solving this problem will go far beyond taking a few packed lunches to work, and cutting out fizzy pop, you have a monthly shortfall of approx £240.00, you cannot simply magic that out of thin air.

I suspect at present the shortfall is either coming out of one or more of your other expenses or its going on the credit card, this situation is not sustainable.

Either one, or both of you must increase their income, there is no alternative, at some point you will not be able to make all the contracted repayments, and somethings will have to be missed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure