Redundant at 54 DB Pension

Options

Comments

• brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,511 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Effectively he isn't losing his redundancy if he retires before the date on the redundancy notice because the pension is being enhanced (ie the 5% reduction per year as per scheme rules is being reduced to 3%) ??
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 10 May 2018 at 11:58PM
    Options
    brewerdave wrote: »
    Effectively he isn't losing his redundancy if he retires before the date on the redundancy notice because the pension is being enhanced (ie the 5% reduction per year as per scheme rules is being reduced to 3%) ??

That sounds right. Suppose his scheme's normal retirement age is 65. With the 5% option a full pension of £100 p.m. becomes £50 p.m. With the 3% option he gets £70 p.m. The latter is 40% bigger than the former. I dare say that the widow's pension might be 40% bigger too - well worth checking. So how big a capital sum of redundancy compensation is worth giving up for a 40% bigger pension? Depending on how good the index-linking is, how much would an extra £20 p.m. cost = £240 p.a.? Somewhere around £10k. A correction would be needed for tax treatment but those are the lines to think along.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    That sounds right. Suppose his scheme's normal retirement age is 65. With the 5% option a full pension of £100 p.m. becomes £50 p.m. With the 3% option he gets £70 p.m. The latter is 40% bigger than the former. I dare say that the widow's pension might be 40% bigger too - well worth checking. So how big a capital sum of redundancy compensation is worth giving up for a 40% bigger pension? Depending on how good the index-linking is, how much would an extra £20 p.m. cost = £240 p.a.? Somewhere around £10k. A correction would one needed for tax treatment but those are the lines to think along.

The figure for a 5% reduction would be £95 and a 3% reduction £97.
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    coyrls wrote: »

Doh ! They aren't looking at 1 year early they are looking at 10.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options

The reduction %'s quoted are per annum. With ten years between 55 and 65. That's 50% and 30% respectively.
  • Dox
    Dox Posts: 3,116 Forumite
    Options
    cdbhel wrote: »
    I have emailed the full pension scheme rules to the Pensions Advisory Service along with the latest information we have received from the company. Thanks again.

Suggest you wait for their reply - nobody here has seen the rules so all the speculation is based partly on guesswork.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

The reductions are reductions per annum.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • coyrls
    coyrls Posts: 2,434 Forumite
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    The reductions are reductions per annum.

OK Got it.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,609 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    He wont lose his redundancy if he waits until July and takes the pay off. Surely he can live off redundancy money until he decides to draw his pension after he reaches 55 5 months after redundancy? Yes, it will be reduced so if he has other options or the redundancy is large enough to delay drawing on the pension that is better.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • A_Nice_Englishman
    Options
    From the employer's point of view, they are prepared to pay £x and are giving the choice of having it as a lump sum or having it paid into the pension scheme to provide an enhanced pension.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure