'Very Catalogue' charges - Help Needed

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaiming Mortgage Fees, Council Tax, etc
7 replies 1.5K views
Jools222Jools222 Forumite
18 Posts
Hi all,


As you have always helped me in the past, I hope you can advise me again. I have been called by the Very Arrears Department as I have paid a few days late on a couple of occasions (literally forgotten to pay!). I pay using the 'Take 3' option which means that you pay for the items in 3 instalments and that way you do not accrue interest. I have been called today and have been told that since my initial late payment in November (and I believe I have been late twice since but always paid within a few days) I have been incurring late charges. I realise I am in the wrong but my issues are as follows:


1, I have been told that after the initial late payment, I am automatically taken of the 'Take 3' payment plan (for items bought up til then) - why does my phone app allow me to continue with these types of payments oblivious to the fact it only does this for new items without informing me that charges will have been incurred and taken off the plan.
2, I have asked for a complete statement of accounts and have been told that I will have to pay for it!!!
3, Unbeknown to me, I have accrued £377.46 of charges without being informed.
I understand that it must be in the small print, however my initial call with the company this way not clarified. And every month I have been paying the 'Take 3' option even though I have been taken off it (and only new items bought can be used on this interest free way). I'm disappointed and fell that I have been lied to as since my initial payment, I have not been contacted by their Customer Care team to make me aware in the first instance.
I apologise for babbling but I am very angry. Please help me!!

Replies

  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Jools222 wrote: »
    1, I have been told that after the initial late payment, I am automatically taken of the 'Take 3' payment plan (for items bought up til then) - why does my phone app allow me to continue with these types of payments oblivious to the fact it only does this for new items without informing me that charges will have been incurred and taken off the plan.
    2, I have asked for a complete statement of accounts and have been told that I will have to pay for it!!!
    3, Unbeknown to me, I have accrued £377.46 of charges without being informed.
    1. Probably something that should be addressed by the company, but hardly something which will allow you to avoid paying your debt.
    2. A Subject Access Request (SAR) costs £10 until May 25th when GDPR comes into effect and it will then be free.
    What do you hope to achieve with this information?
    3. If you haven't been "informed", how do you know that you owe this amount?
    Do you truly expect to be "informed" every time you forget to pay that you will be charged?
    I'd say this was pretty apparent and will definitely be in the terms and conditions which you agreed to (but probably didn't read) at sign up.

    In future I suggest you set up a Direct Debit so that you don't incur late payment charges. In the meantime, you could appeal against the severity of the late payment charges but whether you'll have any success is debatable.
  • Jools222Jools222 Forumite
    18 Posts
    My issue is not that I am in the wrong, just that this was not made clear and the terms and conditions are also not clear


    If I am not on the take 3 account, why am I allowed to select that option when paying via my phone app
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Jools222 wrote: »
    My issue is not that I am in the wrong, just that this was not made clear and the terms and conditions are also not clear
    What exactly is "unclear" about them? Does it not state that failure to pay on time will incur penalties?

    You can complain that the system seemingly allowing you to pay to your suspended Take 3 account needs to be overhauled. However, that won't mean that you have not been tardy with payment and so have to pay their charges.

    I'd set up a Direct Debit if I were you or, better, save up first and shop with cheaper retailers.
  • edited 3 May 2018 at 8:52PM
    Jools222Jools222 Forumite
    18 Posts
    edited 3 May 2018 at 8:52PM
    The issue is not whether I save up and buy something. I have always had the money to Pay up front. However good deals are to be had by buying from a catalogue. In the real world people do forget from time to time and I am not disputing that I am at fault here.

    What I am saying however is that in the first or second instance of 3 over 3/4 years, I should have been contacted by the same team who contacted me today stating that the terms had changed. Hats off to you if you remember every word of every contract you have ever entered into. My point is that if I was told that the 3 month payment plan was not an option I would have contacted them immediately. I shouldn!!!8217;t have been given this option when paying through the app. It should have been greyed out or a note to contact customer care. You are completely missing the point so well done there. I am not saying I am not at fault. Only that I should have been informed
  • Jools222Jools222 Forumite
    18 Posts
    Panic over!! Full refund recieved as well as an apology!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Jools222 wrote: »
    You are completely missing the point so well done there.
    Am I ?
    Jools222 wrote: »
    Full refund recieved as well as an apology!!
    Well done.
  • NasqueronNasqueron Forumite
    7.7K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jools222 wrote: »
    The issue is not whether I save up and buy something. I have always had the money to Pay up front. However good deals are to be had by buying from a catalogue. In the real world people do forget from time to time and I am not disputing that I am at fault here.

    What I am saying however is that in the first or second instance of 3 over 3/4 years, I should have been contacted by the same team who contacted me today stating that the terms had changed. Hats off to you if you remember every word of every contract you have ever entered into. My point is that if I was told that the 3 month payment plan was not an option I would have contacted them immediately. I shouldn!!!8217;t have been given this option when paying through the app. It should have been greyed out or a note to contact customer care. You are completely missing the point so well done there. I am not saying I am not at fault. Only that I should have been informed

    Banks and financial institutions send out details of changes in terms and conditions by post and email regularly. If you choose not to read them or throw them away, that's not their fault.

    You were given a refund as a "get rid of the complaint" type response for low value issues. It will most likely be a one off and future errors will not be refunded.

    Ensure you read the paperwork sent to you in the future to avoid this issue
    the concept of a United States of Europe is right.” Winston Churchill 1930
    I think that the Government are right to apply to join the European Economic Community...” -Winston Churchill 1961
    “The future of Europe if Britain were to be excluded is black indeed.”[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] - Winston Churchill 1963
    [/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Virgin Media & O2 launch Volt

Aims to boost mobile data & broadband speeds

MSE News

Cheap pet insurance

Top comparisons & hot deals

MSE Guides