Supermarket online shopping

Comments

• Beenie
    Beenie Posts: 1,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've rung the 'local' milkman and they don't deliver to my mother's post code.

She doesn't have a freezer.

I am a bit stuck really, but will check out if Iceland make deliveries in her area.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,890 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Beenie wrote: »
    I've rung the 'local' milkman and they don't deliver to my mother's post code.

She doesn't have a freezer.

I am a bit stuck really, but will check out if Iceland make deliveries in her area.

Ah thats a shame, its hard when we have elderly relatives living so far away.

I don't have Iceland deliver to me or my grandfather, have you checked Asda to see if your mum is in a £40 or £25 minumum area?
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Beenie
    I've done a shop with Iceland, and it's only cost £2 as the order was under £40. Which means I can buy my mother's milk, bread, crumpets and other fresh foods weekly now. Hurrah! And thank you everybody.
  • BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!

The problem is that she lives alone and has the appetite of a sparrow. Her carers need to coax her to eat, and so filling a basket with £40 of goods each week is very difficult. At present I am doing a fortnightly shop to get round this problem, but it means her fresh things (milk, bread, eggs etc) are stale by the second week. I can't go and buy these things because we are hundreds of miles apart. Ther have been issues shall we say with things going missing, so I am reluctant to leave more than a few pounds of 'emergency cash' when I visit. Such a headache.

My dad's carers pop out for bread and milk for him. Worth asking.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Beenie
    Pop and out and spend their own money? Is that what they do?

Mother has alzheimers, doesn't leave the house, and doesn't go to the bank. She has no cash of her own, hence the need for me to do her shopping online.
  • BrassicWoman
    Pop and out and spend their own money? Is that what they do?

Mother has alzheimers, doesn't leave the house, and doesn't go to the bank. She has no cash of her own, hence the need for me to do her shopping online.

My dad has dementias. When I'm visiting I make sure he has enough money for a few quid a day for bits and pieces until my next visit.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • Beenie
    Ours are different situations in that case.

As mentioned upthread, we live a 400 mile round-trip apart, and there have been problems with things getting 'lost' in mother's house, so it's not safe to leave a lot of money in cash there.

It would be lovely to have someone go out and get the fresh items, but I am not able to do that, so the online shopping is filling the gap.
  • BrassicWoman

As mentioned upthread, we live a 400 mile round-trip apart, and there have been problems with things getting 'lost' in mother's house, so it's not safe to leave a lot of money in cash there.

It would be lovely to have someone go out and get the fresh items, but I am not able to do that, so the online shopping is filling the gap.

I'm also many hundred miles away. I decided it wasn't worth sweating the odd fiver, if it meant dad gets fresh fruit/bread when he wants it. He's so few pleasures left. But as it turned out, no money has gone missing; the carers always leave exact change and a receipt - they are extra careful to be squeaky clean!

I also find that things getting "lost" are pretty much always him losing them and then finding them later.

I wouldn't keep going with carers we didn't trust. I think that needs action. Most people are very honest.
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 May 2018 at 2:57PM

Is there not a neighbour (1 you know, can trust) you could speak to if they could go and get these few item fpr him, as mentioned maybe its time for a change in carers.
  • Mojisola
    Mojisola Posts: 35,557 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The problem is that she lives alone and has the appetite of a sparrow. Her carers need to coax her to eat

This is a situation that’s only going to get worse. Can’t you find somewhere closer to you that your mother could move to so that you can see her every few days?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure