Kitten's first trip to vets...

Options
Does anyone have any tips please?

Poppy is going tomorrow morning for first set of jabs and also to sort out fleas. We seem to be fighting a losing battle. Poor pops has scratched herself badly behind her ears and made herself sore.

I've bought a proper pet carrier and left it in the room so she has been going in and out of it happily for last few days. I'll put her bed / cushion thing and a blanket in the carrier. We're having to go on the bus because with the cost of the carrier and the actual vets bill I can't afford taxis on top of that.

I'm worried that the noise and movement is going to upset her before we've even got there. I've raided all the money boxes in the house and even if I do manage to scrape together taxi fare going, we'll def have to get the bus back.

I feel really bad for putting her through it, do you think she will be okay with it all? Any tips on keeping her calm would be gratefully recieved.

Sorry this is a bit long, just really worrying and feel really irresponsible for not having saved enough money so I wouldn't have to take her on the bus :(

Thanks in advance

Stacey
Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
-6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)

Comments

• siamesecats
    Options
    hi anna,
    im sure poppy wil lbe fine it may be an idea to cover her box with a jacket/blanket while your on the bus to keep her calm.:A
  • SnowyOwl_2
    SnowyOwl_2 Posts: 5,257 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anna, even if Poppy gets a bit stressed in her carrier, you are still doing the right thing taking her to the vet. My cats all get annoyed and can't stand the carrier - I think it's normal for most cats, so please don't get upset at yourself for having to do this. When you finally get home she'll have forgotten about the whole thing within about two minutes.

BTW some cats can get car sick - maybe not feed Poppy before you go, and perhaps try and persuade her to have a widdle and poo as well.

Covering her carrier should help though make sure there is still a bit of ventilation.
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    I'd put newspaper in as well; one of my boys gets in such a state he's always sitting in wee and poo by the time we arrive and has to be washed in the sink. Don't panic if you're treated to heartrending wails all the way there and back; they soon recover.
  • BizzyBek
    BizzyBek Posts: 265 Forumite
    Options
    For all they may be a bit car sick/go to the loo or talk all the way, actually being in the confines of the carry makes them feel better. And as someone else said it is far better she goes than not!

One of mine is the biggest wuss and makes the most awful noise all the way there and back!

Afterwards they forget about it so quickly.
  • annaangeluk_2
    Options
    Thanks for eveyone's advice!

thankfully Poppy was a little star! Didn't make any noise or seem stressed at all to be in the carrier! When I was waiting at the bus stop i put the carrier on the floor and she stuck her paws out to have a little scratch of the floor!

She was absolutely fantastic in the vets. She let the vet examine her and give her jab without any fuss, even had a tablet without trying to rip his hands off! Had flea drops then he put her down on the table, she turned her back on him, peed on the table then got back in the carrier!! :rotfl:

I kept giggling after that! Until I got the bill anyway - £77:eek: !!!!! Could've done without that 2 months before Christmas but she needed to go! She's part of the family now so I'll find the money!

Don't know if it's anything to do with what she's had done today but she's done some seriously stinky f*rts!!! :eek: Dirty little sod!

Thanks again for your advice!

Stacey
    Joined SW 24/02/2011 :j71lb/28.5lb
    -6, -2.5, -2, -1, -2 -, -2 sow, +3 :o (holiday), -5.5 (*) +0.5, +1, -4, -0.5(*), -3(10%!!) +0.5, -3, -1, -1(2st:j)
  • Jo6673
    Jo6673 Posts: 825 Forumite
    Options
    £77!!!!!!!!!!?????????
    What was that for? Cost me £42 for what you described including 2nd jabs!
    My kitten was neutered and microchipped yesterday for £48- granted they wanted to offer to charge me £40 on top for a blood test to test for kidney problems etc- but as he is fit as a fiddle I declined that- besides he needed a pre-med before being shipped off to the main Animal Hospital because he's not nice to be around while being jabbed so it ruled that out!
    :A 17/10/07-Started Rosemary Conley :A
    Total loss so far= 4 stone 7lbs!
    In the magazine Sept 08
    :T
  • Psykicpup
    Psykicpup Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    just a note for next time - it might be worth asking your vet if there is a pet taxi in the area - they are usually much cheaper than a normal taxi
    I THINK is a whole sentence, not a replacement for I Know

Supermarket Rebel No 19:T
  • Sola
    Sola Posts: 1,681 Forumite
    Options
    That seems a lot - we recently paid £300 for 6 cats to have their jabs and be flead/wormed.
  • asea
    asea Posts: 1,398 Forumite
    Options
    It's Cleo's turn tomorrow, I'm expecting the worst! Her carrier has been out for 3 days now but she won't go near it - she knows!!
    nothing to see here, move along...
  • eamon
    eamon Posts: 2,319 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Some cats travel better than others. My first cat loved getting in the car, would sit on the headrest. In fact for he was 3 years old before I got a cat carrier, just used to put him inside a zip up sports bag. The vet was well impressed. Oh how I miss that cat. I've still got his muddy paw prints on my tool box!

Current cats are less good they both detest the cat carrier. I have to chase them around the house. Bonnie has a really bad time, hyperventilates and will sometimes sh*t herself, poor thing!

Still! It's a journey they have to make.

yours

Eamon
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family