When you owe more than your annual net salary

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Morning lovely,

Welcome to the boards, I hope you're feeling a bit better today?

Will be following you and cheering you on xxx
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning Hope you're feeling better today.

You've done the hardest step and that's facing up to it. There will probably be bumps in the road - there is in most journeys. We will all be here to help you along the way

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I can't say that I actually cried when I realised how much debt I had when I started my DF journey but I certainly had more sleepless night than good sleep nights. I remember the night I had my lightbulb moment - I was tossing & turning so I crept downstairs to make a cup of tea and my wife came down a while later to find me rocking backwards & forwards with my head in my hands.

I did feel like crying but the moment she put her hand on my shoulder and said that we can sort it out I felt lifted and that's when I started my spreadsheet & mission to turn my life around.
  • NeverendingDMP
    NeverendingDMP Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hello and welcome. I too have experienced the kindness of stepchange and various others. I'm three years into a DMP and have just put hubby's debts in as well a few months ago to make it a joint one. This has improved things no end as we have no access to credit anymore and since Oct last year the numbers have only gone down. We at present owe 35487 with an income of 30000 between us. It's a scary thought when I look at it like that at our DMP still has an estimated 17.5 years to run but if I ignore the big numbers and the years and keeping plugging away I know it will end sooner. All I would say Is double check what budget you have agreed to as ours is very tight(I know it has to be) but it's very hard to penny pinch long term. A bit of free choice money to spend or add to the debts makes it much more motivating. I have also sent the pennies from my bank account to a savings account. Eg 2.10 so send the 10p. It's a minor thing but if you do it and the readjust your budget slightly to cope it does build up and suprise you. There's lots of forumsive found helpful, the grocery challenge, DMP mutual support and full and final settlement threads are just a few.

Good luck in your journey and keep us posted. X
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 15.5k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,381 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Hoping that you feel a bit better today.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,170 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good luck, and well done for making that step to get it sorted :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • pidge04
    pidge04 Posts: 792 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 26 April 2018 at 9:33PM
    Options
    Hope you are ok and feeling hopeful
    Store card £140 £117 - Store card £150 - Overdraft £200 - PayPal £364 - Loan 1 £5052 - Loan 2 £1733 - Credit card £2890 - Car hire purchase £3200 - Savings £0.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,096 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good luck LL!!! You can do this x
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sunnysam72 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm about the same amount in debt, it's grown over the past 20years. My salary has dropped by half, I used to be on a great salary, but chose time over stress and ironically now have more stress to do with money! Keep to your plan, the 6 years will pass in he blink of an eye. I'm looking at 10years to being totally debt free - unless we sell our house then it'll be sooner! Loads of folk on here are so super supportive and there's tons of info to help you.

Thanks SunnySam72....can i join you on the journey?
    £38,000 and change to £0
  • LexieLou
    LexieLou Posts: 714 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Oh you guys are so lovely..utterly gorgeous. Thank you for calling by.

This morning I woke up and felt better than I have in years. I'm sure its just the euphoria of what I have done in the last 36 hours, but it felt good.

I'm still ambling towards NSD...I plan on Sat to actually decide how many a week I can do.

In relation to the budget, I have been on a budget for the last year, just being stupid at times with the old cc and adding to the mount of debt.

I plan to save an EF in the next 6 weeks, get the paperwork off to SC and then pray that my car stays alive. No joke, I actually get into the car each morning and ask the 'Big Man' up in the heavens to keep me safe and keep my car alive.

I bought some cleaning products in £1 shop today, to be fair thats where I usually buy them.

I'm late posting tonight as I was home late, watched TV for a bit and am only crawling into bed now

I've a lot to do in the next few weeks....

I sew, so I could use up my old remnants of fabric and sell those creations and make a few £££

Anyway, nothing else to report.

Day 2 is done....

Tomorrow is a new day

Good night all, sleep tight

LL xx
    £38,000 and change to £0
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts