7 years remaining, lets do it in 5!

Options
13»

Comments

• Hazelnutty
    Options
    3-yr fixes are generally better rates I think? So you could get a 3-yr then if the money doesn't come through you'll at least have had 3 years of reasonable rates and OPs and can take a view then on what's next. Circumstances may have changed in other ways over that time so it may be a good timeframe anyway. Having said that, I've fixed for 5 as I needed longer-term certainty after taking over a mortgage on my own and having much less capacity for rate changes or significant OPs.
    Choose kind:)
  • fatrab
    fatrab Posts: 1,231 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Hazelnutty, yes there were better rates for 2 or 3 year fixes but I've no guarantee that I'll be in a position to pay it off by then, so I felt the 5 year fix was the best available at the time. I'm happy with the rate and monthly payment, plus it'll give us a chance to pay off all the other little bits of straggly debt that have been hanging over us for years. Then start saving!

It's good to know what you're going to be paying for the foreseeable future isn't it? I like to be able to plan and have an end goal to work towards. I'm not a gambler or risk-taker so this approach suits me best :)
    You can have results or excuses, but not both.
    Challenge - be 14 Stone BY XMAS!

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport