Self-catered BBQ - where should I buy the food?

I am catering a BBQ for 80 people on the day before the wedding and struggling to find how to get the food! If I put in an order at Sainsbury's, I feel so guilty because I am adding 80 packages of 2 burgers a piece. There is the plastic waste and there is the cost associated with buying small portions of everything. For example, 80 people's worth of guacamole is a lot, especially to buy it in 100 g containers.

Is there a good place to get one-off wholesale prices for things and ways to reduce the sheer amount of packaging?
Mortgage started at £318,000 in June 2016. Original MF - 2041 :eek:
2nd Property Mortgage at £275,000. Mortgage free: 2049 :eek:
Total OPs: £29529

Replies

• DCFC79DCFC79 Forumite
    40.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Tropically wrote: »
    I am catering a BBQ for 80 people on the day before the wedding and struggling to find how to get the food! If I put in an order at Sainsbury's, I feel so guilty because I am adding 80 packages of 2 burgers a piece. There is the plastic waste and there is the cost associated with buying small portions of everything. For example, 80 people's worth of guacamole is a lot, especially to buy it in 100 g containers.

Is there a good place to get one-off wholesale prices for things and ways to reduce the sheer amount of packaging?

For the burgers maybe contact Great British Meat, I dont know how they would deal with the packaging, maybe they have the facility to minimise it.
  • edited 24 April 2018 at 1:53AM
    robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    edited 24 April 2018 at 1:53AM
    Try a local butchers for the burgers. With an order of 160 they would most probably give you a good discount. Plus they would no doubt follow your wishes for less wrapping .

Plus for the other stuff you could see if there is a local food wholesaler who would sell to you.

Another option if you have the access, is a Costco card. They tend to sell things in bulk or catering sizes.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • Asda is really good for food... I'm doing a buffet for around 75-80 people as this is cheaper for us.
    but I'm sure asda would do bigger packs of burgers plus you can save money with their price guarantee system. I mostly always get 50p - £2.00 off my shops with this.
    Wedding Fund: £1107.23 / £2,500 Xmas'18: £100.00 / £300.00 Emergency Fund: £100.00 / £1,000H2B ISA: £30.50
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Mortgage rates

What can you (or should you) do?

MSE News

Train strikes

Your refund rights explained

MSE News