Damp in roofspace after solar panel installation

Hi, just wondering if anyone else who has solar panels fitted has noticed an increase in damp in their roofspace following solar panel installation. Since having solar panels fitted two and a half years ago, I noticed that boxes in the roofspace have warped from being damp, and also mould spreading over celings. House is only 14 years old, and no previous damp/mould issues.
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Comments

• pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    That's an interesting question.

I too have some issues with moisture in my loft but think it is more related to the fact that is boosted the insulation and filled most of the leaks, i.e. holes, into the loft space.

Thing is, I can't figure out why adding insulation and stopping leaks would increase moisture in the loft. Hadn't considered it might be linked to the PV but to be honest can't see how that would be the case either.

And if it was, why did it not occur as soon as the PV was installed?

Rather annoyingly I also have condensation issues in the main house since doing the insulation/blocking the holes but have put that down to the lack of leaks now trapping more moisture in the house.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Haven't seen that myself. Possible reasons I can see are would be less sun falling on the roof, so things don't get baked dry, and possibly leaks around the panel fittings.

Lofts shouldn't get damp. They should be draughty, with air allowed to blow in and out around the eaves of the roof. Stuffing in too much insulation right to the edges can block the air flow.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • pinnks
    pinnks Posts: 1,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I agree lofts should be vented and have been careful to retain that with eaves protection to stop the insulation preventing airflow. In my case I don't think it is related in any way to the PV as that had been in place for 2 or 3 years before the issue arose. The only change I can pinpoint is the insulation and plugging holes to stop heat loss from the house. But why would plugging holes and keeping moist air out of the loft space cause a problem? I can see why that may have affected the main house but not the loft...
  • happymum2010
    happymum2010 Posts: 127 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2018 at 8:06AM
    Thank you for your replies, I don't think our problem is down to insulation and ventilation because we had no problems before. There was definately an increase in condensation in the house after adding the extra layer of insulation (vents around edge of roofspace kept clear), but that was 12 years ago. We never had mould problems before. The mould growth on the celing is where the beams would be in the roofspace, which makes me suspect the problem is up there. My husband asked someone else with panels and they also noticed the same problem. I was wondering if this was a common problem.
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport