Forum Home» Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News

Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Martin Lewis to sue Facebook for defamation in groundbreaking campaigning lawsuit

39 replies 13.9K views
MSE_EeshaMSE_Eesha MSE Staff
141 posts
Sixth Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
MSE Staff
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Please click 'post reply' to discuss below.

Replies

• PositiveBalancePositiveBalance Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    FB allowing fraudsters to get away with using Martin's image to take money from those who aren't technologically savvy enough to realise it's a scam is terrible and I can understand why he has felt the need to take the step he has to protect them, himself and, by extension, MSE.

Martin has considerable clout, so FB aren't just going to be able to roll their eyes and try to explain this all away. All the very best to him! :T
    Remaining debt: £478.75/£4869.01 (£4390.26 to go)
    Originally: £11,640.02; £6771.01 (58%) repaid
    Emergency Fund (#187): £208/£1000
  • roddydogsroddydogs Forumite
    7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont understand why Dragons den hasnt also with that fake bitcoin ad that FB keeps running.
  • All this face recognition stuff and they still can't weed out fake ads. Saw same style ad on yahoo today.
    Aid Renegade
  • POPPYOSCARPOPPYOSCAR Forumite
    14.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very pleased to her this.

It is about time these companies were held to account.

Well done Martin Lewis!
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surely everyone will support Martin in his action.

Is it not possible to also sue some of the scammers?

Fake Adverts like 'Fake News' are the scourge of our time.
  • Wizard_of_IdWizard_of_Id PPR
    5.5K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is he going to bring the hammer down on Yahoo as well?

I'm forever seeing his face on all sorts of banner ads when I open my email page.
  • Is he going to bring the hammer down on Yahoo as well?

I'm forever seeing his face on all sorts of banner ads when I open my email page.

Exactly, they've been appearing on Yahoo for ages as "sponsored" links.

• Leon_WLeon_W Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    It's all well and good Facebook saying that if you see an advert then let us know and we'll remove it, but who realistically has the resources to scour Facebook continually looking for fake adds ?? That's a full time job for a team of people. And even then, they'll just pop up again somewhere else.

Surely the onus should be on Facebook to screen the adds before publishing them (for that is what they are doing) and not put the onus on the injured party to report.

• nic_cnic_c Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    This news story is running in the press, on the Guardian ad supported mobile app it had it with an advert in - and guess what that advert was for ... "save £1000's based on this Martin Lewis article" seems to be a similarly fake ad.
    Took a screenshot
    2d0m100.jpg
  • PositiveBalancePositiveBalance Forumite
    1.2K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    nic_c wrote: »
    This news story is running in the press, on the Guardian ad supported mobile app it had it with an advert in - and guess what that advert was for ... "save £1000's based on this Martin Lewis article" seems to be a similarly fake ad.
    Took a screenshot
    2d0m100.jpg

Martin has pointed this out to The Guardian and Sky by tweet this morning...

Bit awkward for them. :D
    Remaining debt: £478.75/£4869.01 (£4390.26 to go)
    Originally: £11,640.02; £6771.01 (58%) repaid
    Emergency Fund (#187): £208/£1000