Personal rate of inflation

Options
2»

Comments

• kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I expect to spend nothing on shoes this year, partly because I can't find anyone who will sell me a pair of trainers that are wide enough.

As for clothes, a new pair of track suit bottoms will probably be necessary.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    I expect to spend nothing on shoes this year, partly because I can't find anyone who will sell me a pair of trainers that are wide enough.

I also have very wide feet - H fitting according to Clarks. I bought a pair of walking shoes from a place called Mountainfeet in Marsden. Previously I have bought from Altimus in Reading and London.
  • Mnd
    Mnd Posts: 1,699 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    Insurance: we need motor insurance, and insurance for the fabric of the house. We've wondered about carrying our own risk instead of buying contents insurance. Currently the Nationwide supplies our travel insurance "free" by virtue of having a Flexaccount. How long that perk will last Lord knows.

We are old enough that we have no life insurance. If we were younger now we should, I think, consider income protection insurance: the protection many people used to get as part of a DB pension is now rare outside government employment.

Finishes at end of this year I've been informed by
    Nationwide
    No.79 save £12k in 2020. Total end May £11610
    Annual target £24000
  • System
    System Posts: 178,104 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can always manipulate your "personal rate of inflation" by not buying the things that have a high rating in the official figures. It's not just the rate in the one year that matters, it's the overall rate over your economic lifetime that matters.
    You may be able to avoid particular items one year, but can you avoid them all your life?
    Or I suppose you could live a very weird kind of life where you constantly adjust what you do so as to avoid all the currently-appreciating things. No insurance this year, no bread another year, lots and lots of whisky another. :)
  • OldMusicGuy
    OldMusicGuy Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    greenglide wrote: »
    That is a very old name?

Has been Council Tax for almost 25 years!
    I told you we had no control over it....

Or my decaying grey cells it would appear :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport