saving my future self from debt

Options

Comments

• pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 23 April 2018 at 6:37PM
    Options
    Changed back DDs dollars today which just about covered her prom ticket and the overspend on her mobile whilst she was in the States :)

£20.28 spent on food and worked out how to do my version of a Tilly's Tidy. As I mentioned on a previous post I have a cash budget for a number of monthly spends which I draw out the bank at the beginning of every month. I find myself so much more accountable using cash. However instead of actually using a cash transaction I use my cc to get my JL vouchers for Xmas shopping and instead I physically take the money out of my cash pot and put it into my cc pot which I then pay into the bank at the end of the month to cover the cc bill. Still with me? So in order to TT I am going to round up my purchase cost. So my spend was £20.28 today in Tescos but I will pay £21 into my cc pot which will reduce my daily available spend but increase my savings at the end of the month. Genius - alternatively I could just take out less cash at the beginning of the month but I think my plan is more cunning and masterful :)

After that masterful plan my daily available spend for tomorrow is £26.43 up 68p on yesterday.

PFTP X
    Goal:to save £16,000 by 30/09/2019 claw back rental costs
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    pennyforthepot Posts: 652 Forumite
    edited 24 April 2018 at 7:50AM
    Options
    A Cautionary Tale of the Frugal Runner
    This is my third attempt at posting so in a bid to beat the time out button I shall go from epic novel to back of the book synopsis!
    18 months ago I decided (not for the first time) to be a runner, think gazelle, lioness on the hunt, Paula Radcliffe in the marathon. Why running? Because its free, I dont need equipment and I can roll out of bed early in the morning when no one is watching, sling on some old trainers, tshirt and leggings and be back before any one is around to see my red puffing cheeks.
    So to summarise:
    After 3 weeks of puffing and panting, stitch, only half a mile achieved and still no signs of gazellelike movements I remember how much I hate running and promptly give up. Not to be undeterred and knowing that I am fast approaching my 50s and need to be heading into them healthy I fork out £630 and join my local (non-refundable) gym.
    Three sessions later vowing never to return and realising I hate the gym even more than running I retrieve my old trainers (actually dd!!!8217;s old school trainers) and with the help of the couch to 5k app start the long slog running 5k without stopping.
    Roll on 3 months. Goal achieved though still no similarity to the gazelle (or Paula). However what I do have is a running injury. £330 and 6 osteopath sessions later, plus £35 on orthotic insoles, £45 on support flipflops as it was too painful to walk indoors on bare feet and £27 on books about preventing running injuries I am back out there !!!8216;running the distance!!!8217; so to speak.
    Roll on another 8 or so months. Stopped in my tracks by a knee injury. Its the shoes Im told, you need proper running shoes, ke-ching £90, Resistance bands, foam rollers thats what you need, ke-ching £32 later. But nothing worked, not even google!
    £255 and 5 sports physio sessions later I decide to join a gym as I!!!8217;m determined not to lose my fitness level whilst Im out injured. Of course I cant go back to the gym Im actually a member of (think I had another month left) as I was too embarrassed so I join the local sports centre - £108 later I remembered that no matter what I just hate the gym. Luckily wit this one I have been able to cancel my membership.
    I have hung up my trainers for now as my injury is due to an old gardening injury of 10 years gone and requires surgery. So Im going back to slouch on my couch and wont say no to another chocolate!

Total cost of my Frugal Free Running: £1557!!!

Daily Electricity cost £1.70

PFTP x
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,334 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Blimey, that is some running story :eek:
    Luckily as I am disabled I have no such notions!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    Hi Beanielou,

You'll be pleased to note that the first thing I ticked off my to do list today was cancelling my physio appointment saving myself £45.

Sometimes when I get frustrated with not being able to run I give myself a right good metaphorical kick up the !!!! and remind myself that instead of being grumpy I should show gratitude for what I am able to do that so many are not.
    I just have to add that my jaw fell to the ground when I saw that you have been thanked 207508 (that last one was me :)) times in 44237 posts and have in fact written 52796 posts. (Picking my jaw up off the floor) Incredible!

PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    Options
    Only in favour of you cancelling the physio if you dident need it:p
    I sometimes pay for alternative therepies as I find them helpful.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• pennyforthepot
    Options
    Today's highs include:

Buying a bouquet of flowers reduced from £10 to £2.30 as a belated bday gift for my boss. I just hope the flowers don't wilt by tomorrow as she'll know I got them cheap!

OPing 22p from my Tescos shop

Passing by the free taster table twice and scoffing some rather delicious smoked cheese :)

Only spending £4.88 of my daily available spend taking tomorrow's up to £30.75

Saving myself £45 by cancelling my physio.

On the downside:

Booked my car in for its first MOT and service - could not believe the price £329!!! Seriously - I don't think the car is worth much more than that. I've only allocated £200 in my annual pot for that so I will need to juggle things about. Luckily I have £340 in the pot for this year as I've putting it in monthly but haven't taken any out for some costs that have already gone through as I tend to save it till the end of the year and scoop up whatever is in there.

Off to read some diaries

PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • beanielou
    Options
    Hi Beanielou,

You'll be pleased to note that the first thing I ticked off my to do list today was cancelling my physio appointment saving myself £45.

Sometimes when I get frustrated with not being able to run I give myself a right good metaphorical kick up the !!!! and remind myself that instead of being grumpy I should show gratitude for what I am able to do that so many are not.
    I just have to add that my jaw fell to the ground when I saw that you have been thanked 207508 (that last one was me :)) times in 44237 posts and have in fact written 52796 posts. (Picking my jaw up off the floor) Incredible!

PFTP X

Not a record holder in any way.
    Some people have over a 100, 000 posts:eek:

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    I can highly recommend yoga as a similarly cheap exercise, and it doesn't break your body in the same way as running! I used to run, but injury after injury meant it just stopped being enjoyable, and was always about recovery from or anticipation of injury. I do ashtanga because I like that it's slightly harder work and feels like a 'real' workout, but if you want a routine to get started with, I gather the yoga with Adriene youtube videos are really good.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Not a record holder in any way.
    Some people have over a 100, 000 posts:eek:

:eek: that's unbelievable"
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
  • pennyforthepot
    Options
    I can highly recommend yoga as a similarly cheap exercise, and it doesn't break your body in the same way as running! I used to run, but injury after injury meant it just stopped being enjoyable, and was always about recovery from or anticipation of injury. I do ashtanga because I like that it's slightly harder work and feels like a 'real' workout, but if you want a routine to get started with, I gather the yoga with Adriene youtube videos are really good.

I'm an avid yoga follower TOPM. I follow Tim Sensei (think that his name on YouTube) I try and do half an hour every morning, though have lapsed over the last couple of weeks with the kids off for Easter then busy at work. Back to it next week. I used to do half the session before running and half after - I found it the best way to prevent injury. I'm just missing th cardio at the moment.

Loving your epic diary journey - at March last year - so focused:T

PFTP X
    May18 -£2,954.33/£16,000
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business