Thanks to those who participated in our 'Ask An Expert: Scams' event. Scam expert MSE Katie's video answers are available to watch on the board now.

Overdraft and mortgage

I have an overdraft facility of £1000 which has generally been overdrawn at the limit every month for years. My debt is cleared now so will be in credit always from now on. Can a credit search show this overdrawn amount for the last six years or are overdrafts not shown on credit files?

Replies

• ThrugelmirThrugelmir Forumite
    89.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Depends how old your bank account is. Older accounts are not reported to the CRA's as there was no provision in the terms and conditions agreed to. For overdrafts to be reported.
  • Jman123Jman123 Forumite
    32 Posts
    Third Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    I think your current balance at a point in the month will be reported to credit agencies. For example I use my overdraft almost to the limit each month but on my credit report each month it!!!8217;s a few hundred less suspect it gets reported a week or so before I get paid.. if it!!!8217;s now cleared and has been for at least a month or so I think you!!!8217;ll be ok. I doubt they will report history of it- more likely just report the current position.
  • It will most likely be reported depending upon the age of your account. To check, go to noddle.co.uk and sign up for a free credit report. You can check it for free every month thereafter.

As this is on the mortgage boards I assume you are worried for mortgage purposes. Its important to note that lenders will take this into account, but also that some are more relaxed than others about these things. One of the questions on an underwriters mind would be what if the overdraft facility was withdrawn how would you pay mortgage. So you need to keep a positive bank balance between now and when you apply for a mortgage to keep it looking good in a lenders eyes.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser

You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Redscope77Redscope77 Forumite
    28 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Posts
    Forumite
    did you ever go overdrawn more than your agreed credit limit? if yes this shows on your credit report as a default/bad marker. If you was always within the £1000 overdrawn limit then it's perfectly fine, it would have only affected your indebtidness index...ie the amount of money you have drawn down vs the amount of credit you could potential have.

All a credit search can see if you are current with all of your credit agreements and the number of credit agreements you have. If you were always current (ie made all payments) then you will have a good credit score.
  • Redscope77 wrote: »

All a credit search can see if you are current with all of your credit agreements and the number of credit agreements you have. If you were always current (ie made all payments) then you will have a good credit score.

Not quite. Lenders will look at the data and make their own decisions.

The fictional credit score is neither here nor there.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Boost your Nectar points

Get up to £25 this Saturday

MSE News

Preparing for summer

What MoneySaving things can you do now to get ready?

MSE Forum

Hot Diamonds 40% off code

Including already-reduced outlet stock

MSE Deals