Welsh Water CCJ

Options
I have just searched my Equifax credit file and have discovered that I have a default CCJ for £700 from Welsh water. This was first registered 12 months ago.
The water is in joint names with the Mrs.
Up until recently the Mrs was in charge of paying bills etc. For the last 2 years or so she has suffered with anxiety and depression and has not been at all well, she claims that we have not received any papers from the court I cant be 100% sire on this as alot of mail was hidden away or binned I only found this out recently and if had known I would of taken control of payments sooner but hindsight is a wonderful thing, one thing is for certain is that I did not receive any papers from the court.
Going forward I don't deny owing the money but I don't want to just pay the debt and then be stuck with the CCJ. Im looking to buy a house this year and having the CCJ means that will not be possible.
I rung Welsh water today and explained the situation and they were less than helpful.

Comments

• Aesop
    Aesop Posts: 23,773 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sully83 wrote: »
    I have just searched my Equifax credit file and have discovered that I have a default CCJ for £700 from Welsh water. This was first registered 12 months ago.
    The water is in joint names with the Mrs.
    Up until recently the Mrs was in charge of paying bills etc. For the last 2 years or so she has suffered with anxiety and depression and has not been at all well, she claims that we have not received any papers from the court I cant be 100% sire on this as alot of mail was hidden away or binned I only found this out recently and if had known I would of taken control of payments sooner but hindsight is a wonderful thing, one thing is for certain is that I did not receive any papers from the court.
    Going forward I don't deny owing the money but I don't want to just pay the debt and then be stuck with the CCJ. Im looking to buy a house this year and having the CCJ means that will not be possible.
    I rung Welsh water today and explained the situation and they were less than helpful.

If you pay the CCJ, it will be marked as satisifed on your credit file. That means anyone looking at it will know you have paid what was made in judgement against you. The satisfied will stay on your credit file for 6 years.

If you wish to, you could apply to set aside the judgment, there is a fee of £255. Unless you are on benefits or a low income, then you can get help with the fee. There is no guarantee it will be set aside and whoever's name the judgement is in, will need to attend court to explain to the Judge why they want the judgement set aside.

Once it is set aside, Welsh Water will be back in touch immediately to recover the monies owing.

If the judge does not agree to set aside, then he/she will order that you make contact with Welsh Water to agree to how to repay the judgement.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure