Amigo

GrannyW100
GrannyW100 Posts: 18 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
Evening.

Have just had a call from Amigo asking me to confirm my DOB and postcode. I asked why - they said they needed this information before speaking to me. I refused and said I had not agreed to be any kind of guarantor and who was it that had applied - they again refused under data protection act but said that they would make a note under their fraud department.. is this just a phishing call or should I be more concerned?

thanks

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Assuming it was Amigo calling you, the only way to find out is to comply with data protection and they will tell you.

Call them back on there generic number, giving your details will not impact you at all, and find out whats going on.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    If anyone takes out a guarantor loan the borrowed sum is paid to the guarantor, so in theory you cannot be made a guarantor unawares, though someone could have tried this not knowing how the process works.
  • GrannyW100
    GrannyW100 Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    thanks for this. I looked up Amigo's contact number and they said they were open between the hours of 9a.m. and 7 p.m. I received the call at 8.05 p.m. and it wasn't the same number... In fact, when the guy asked for the information he didn't say who he was from and only said Amigo when prompted.
  • dealer_wins
    dealer_wins Posts: 7,334 Forumite
    If you get a call from anyone asking to confirm anything, hang up
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,451 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    GrannyW100 wrote: »
    thanks for this. I looked up Amigo's contact number and they said they were open between the hours of 9a.m. and 7 p.m. I received the call at 8.05 p.m. and it wasn't the same number... In fact, when the guy asked for the information he didn't say who he was from and only said Amigo when prompted.

If you have the number he called from, have you tried googling it?
  • GrannyW100 wrote: »
    Evening.

Have just had a call from Amigo asking me to confirm my DOB and postcode. I asked why - they said they needed this information before speaking to me. I refused and said I had not agreed to be any kind of guarantor and who was it that had applied - they again refused under data protection act but said that they would make a note under their fraud department.. is this just a phishing call or should I be more concerned?

thanks

A phone call out of the blue asking for your date of birth and postcode certainly smells of scam, and you did the right thing by refusing to give the requested information.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • yes, tried googling it... nothing comes up...it's 01202629888.. Amigo main number is 01202 629161- same area code though so could be them I guess... it's bugging me now as they had my name and telephone number. If someone used me as a guarantor then I'd like to know who.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    GrannyW100 wrote: »
    yes, tried googling it... nothing comes up...it's 01202629888.. Amigo main number is 01202 629161- same area code though so could be them I guess... it's bugging me now as they had my name and telephone number. If someone used me as a guarantor then I'd like to know who.

You could always write to them but I guess you may have to declare your DOB and phone number before they have enough information to disclose to you.

I would also emphasise in the letter that under no circumstances would you act as a guarantor for anybody.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It depends if they have your postcode and DOB already, if you suspect a scam then you alter your DOB and give that (e.g. 1981 instead of 1987) - if they accept that then probably a scam, if it "doesn't match their records" then they probably have your DOB and you should be fine confirming the details to find out.

There isn't much they can do with DOB & postcode. Also did they state phone calls were recorded and was it a mobile or landline?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure