Reflections on debt

Options
Brassica
Brassica Posts: 74 Forumite
edited 18 March 2018 at 4:44PM in Debt free diaries
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm sure the admins will correct it's place if not.

I've just logged in after what seems an age and note I have been given a 9 year badge. During all of that time I was in debt. This was a typical post from me: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3540509

I've now well into my 50s and can now reveal that I'm debt free and meeting my financial committments. How did I get to this hitherto unimaginable point? Simple. I literally worked my A** of to repay every penny back I owed. All told in the region of at least £30k. But at what cost? Well, I remained in a job I hated for 7 years longer than I anticipated; I remained in a flat that I hated for 10 years longer than I planned; The stress caused me to develop tinnitus; The stress caused me to fail almost every exam I sat (which was orignaily designed to help me get a better job); Constant sleepless nights wakening only to listen out for the bailiff van or truck; I remained living frugally for many years (not such a bad thing though); and facing what could be a very impoverished retirement.

With that being said, I feel somewhat relieved to be debt-free but I often wonder if serving time in the old Marhsalsea might have been better!

On a positive note, there is nothing like a good nights sleep waking up to a bright new debt-free day :-)

*correction 10 year anniversary!

Comments

• a_silver_lining
    Options
    Hi Brassica, so interesting to read a bitter sweet post. I am aware now that I will have to remain in a flat I dislike for a fair few more years longer then I anticipated. Did you find ways to find it easier to live there?

Do you have some positive debt free plans now?
    19/12/14: Spent 10 years of savings!!
    :heart2: ..... to buy my first home. :heart2:
    11K OP 31.03.19

Current goal: €151,000 deposit Ireland and counting, to buy Spring 2022 we hope!
  • Brassica
    Options
    Hi asilverlinging!

Interesting question. I guess I can do much more than I was able to socially however the last few years have left me battle-weary, so to speak. The flat I've hated so much? Well, that's been decided for me as it's under a demolition order. As it stands now, I could never buy my own home as I'm pretty much priced out of anything within 100 miles of London! So I'll have to accept what is offered to me.

Debt free plans...hmm? not so much, pretty much mindful solitude for the forseeable....
  • brizzlegirl
    brizzlegirl Posts: 1,260 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Best of luck with whatever you decide...well done on posting and thats truly an impressive amount of debt busting...there should be another badge for that..post on the DF Roll of Honour and MSE Badger will give you a special mention.

Hope the flat change go well too

Brizzle x
  • Brassica
    Options
    Thank you Brizzle. I might just do that :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure