University maintence of £11,500 as mentioned by ML

Options

Comments

• Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sandy75 wrote: »
    15 hours part time work is insufficient. I worked 30 throughout my degree and two jobs in the summer.

Both the students union and the university itself should have hardship funds if things get tricky.

Even if you get the absolute minimum loan there's usually no reason whatsoever for doing that number of hours.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,104 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used to top mine up by working ridiculous hours in the summer.

I did factory work at minimum wage plus shift allowance, then worked 10pm - 6am monday to Friday, then 6pm - 6am nights at the weekend!

I earned nearly £500/week and that was back in 2001!!!

I didn't have a term time job though as my course had top many timetabled hours.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    Options
    happyhero wrote: »
    Hello silercar, ok thanks for that, I didn't realise that part. So is there any way she can boost her money or should I take it that we have achieved maximum?

I suppose someone in London might get the £11,500 and get a bursary on top, so i was thinking along those lines to top hers up.
    A full time job in the summer holidays is a must, and they do not just appear at the end of term, she needs to be looking for one well ahead of time. Has she been working already, if so, can she go back to that job in the break?

You can live on very little as a student, and I suggest that she learns to do so. I love meat, but had it rarely at college as it was too expensive. I bought all of my clothes when there was a sale at Top Man (20 identical T-shirts at 50p Each), and then I subsidised myself from the savings I had from my work in a shop during sixth form.

I made sure that my parents never had to contribute, but they did choose to do so occasionally. When, for example, I was in a frozen room making do with three jumpers they gave me some money for the electricity. If you want to do this then what are your options for increasing the family income?
  • Sandy75
    Sandy75 Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    I worked those hours because I had a mortgage to pay. But other students also worked those hours, some for money, others because they enjoyed it.
    Provided your academic work didn't suffer. Which mine didn't.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Sandy75 wrote: »
    I worked those hours because I had a mortgage to pay. But other students also worked those hours, some for money, others because they enjoyed it.
    Provided your academic work didn't suffer. Which mine didn't.

That's why I said "usually" - most students don't have a mortgage to pay.

Academic work isn't all there is to being at university, many graduate employers look for applicants who have done more with their time than study and work for money: voluntary work, activities, sports etc., certainly in the case of non mature students like you.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LilElvis wrote: »
    She tops it up by working her backside off during the summer holidays. I had over £1200 saved from working in retail the summer before I started university and did the same the following year. I graduated 30 years ago so I would expect she could earn and save at least this much as I was on less than £2/hour at C&A.

Yes - I used to work all summer and save too. Meant I had about £1500 to spread over the year, as well as working part time in the local Morrisons. After everything was considered, I had around £40-50 per week for food and beer.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I can't speak for all universities but the one I work for specifies a maximum 20 hours a week of paid employment for a full time student during term time and even that would not be possible with some courses. However term is only 30 weeks of the year leaving quite a bit of vacation time in which to earn more.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,100 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mrs_Soup wrote: »
    I can't speak for all universities but the one I work for specifies a maximum 20 hours a week of paid employment for a full time student during term time and even that would not be possible with some courses. However term is only 30 weeks of the year leaving quite a bit of vacation time in which to earn more.

Can be less - 28 weeks is the norm. 15 hours a week over the summer is not enough - just enough to survive the summer. OP - what about joining an agency? They can get someone in work the next day...granted the work isn't glamorous though.
  • Tabbytabitha
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Can be less - 28 weeks is the norm. 15 hours a week over the summer is not enough - just enough to survive the summer. OP - what about joining an agency? They can get someone in work the next day...granted the work isn't glamorous though.

The 15 hours per week referred to termtime, I believe, not in the holidays.
  • WibblyGirly
    WibblyGirly Posts: 470 Forumite
    Options
    I worked 14 hours a week and got about £400 a month. A fellow student worked almost 30 hours per week whilst studying but she was very motivated and disciplined (Also she could manage on 6 hours sleep!)
    I suggest she gets a job asap and gets some money saved. If its a place like tesco or costa then she could try transfer when she's at uni
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure