edited 28 January 2019 at 3:58PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
This post has been deleted.

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    This stood out for me.
    My boss told me that someone on a grad scheme would be coming in to take over one of my projects for six months (I look after two) and I may or may not pick it up after they leave
    The reason given for this change is that "it's a good opportunity for the grad and the organisation, and that my project is the most contained and easiest to give them". However, my boss and I have clashed somewhat on the approach/direction of this project and when I asked if that was the reason why, my boss replied "partly".

Sidebar: At no point as there been an informal or formal discussion with my manager or anyone else about my management of this project. Or any prior mention that I wouldn't be leading on this for the whole duration of my time at the organisation.

What is not clear here is if you are aware there are issues with this project.

if this has come as a big surprise then that suggests you may not really be on top of of everything that is going on with this project.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You're 9 months in, just do as you're told.

Grad scheme candidates very often take priority.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Options
    Well, my boss and I would have discussions about the approach but we had the same discussions about the other project. For which I received praise for in my PDR.

So yeah, it came as a massive surprise.

Before I arrived my boss was doing my job and already had a solution in mind and I'm questioning that solution as we don't have the user research to back it up.

There, I think, is the crux of the matter, in a nutshell. You are questioning your boss' judgement. Not really a recipe for a harmonious relationship, especially after so short a time in the job, is it?
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Options
    I was expecting this/unhelpful comments. No, I'm not going to just 'do as I'm told'. I'm a human with wants, needs, feelings, career goals, etc. I'm not a robot.
    And your employer is a business with wants and needs - if you aren't fulfilling those, someone else will.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    Options
    I'm surprised your job description mentions specific projects. Whenever I've employed a project manager, the role description is to manage one or more (unspecified) projects.

I'd have taken a different tack, and offered to manage or mentor the grad. But I guess that's not open to you now? Has your relationship with your boss broken down beyond repair, do you think? Are there project management roles elsewhere in the organisation where you could transfer to?

You mention that you got praise for the other project. Are you able to sit down with your boss and agree what he sees you doing well/vs not so well?
  • Gavin83
    Gavin83 Posts: 8,752 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Does your job description state the projects you'll be working on, or does it merely just state 'will be required to work on projects?'

It doesn't really matter anyway, you've no right to work on certain projects. They can dismiss you for this should they so wish, you've no rights for constructive dismissal as you've been employed less than two years. I'd suggest either doing it the way the boss requests or find another job.
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,935 Forumite
    edited 14 March 2018 at 12:20PM
    Options
    ...I'm a human with wants, needs, feelings, career goals, etc. I'm not a robot.
    Part of project management is finding win:win outcomes. Another part is stakeholder management.

You've had a set back. Surely it's not the first in your career? I get that your ego is a bit bruised, but you need to work out what you want to do next.
    ...hello constructive dismissal...
    ...I am currently nine months in...
    Goodbye constructive dismissal. You need 2 years!
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,494 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I don't see how you come to the conclusion that your job description has been changed. You are employed as a Project Manager and you will continue to be a Project Manager. Unless it is actually written into your contract that you will be managing specific projects for the period of your employment, I really don't see that you have any case. The main reason put forward for passing one of your projects on to the graduate seems to be perfectly valid.
  • AstroTurtle
    Options

"it's your decision if you want to leave" - [STRIKE]hello constructive dismissal[/STRIKE]. In conclusion, my boss said that there is no room for negotiation and the grad is coming in, things are changing and I have to like it or leave.

People get redeployed in the workplace all the time.
    Save £12k in 2019 -
  • k3lvc
    k3lvc Posts: 4,174 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I was expecting this/unhelpful comments. No, I'm not going to just 'do as I'm told'. I'm a human with wants, needs, feelings, career goals, etc. I'm not a robot.

You want platitudes or reality/honesty ? You're under 2yrs so limited rights (and certainly not constructive dismissal) and all your other wants/needs etc come way down the heirarchy for the business who's employing you.

In your situation I'd be looking to make myself indispensable and build some bridges - otherwise you might not make it to 2yrs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure