Trade in broken washing machine?

Options
Hi MSE forum.

I need to buy a new washing machine, as the bearings have gone and, for my old particular model, it's apparently not possible/extremely difficult to repair.

I was hoping to find a company who might accept a trade-in to get some money off, but not sure how likely that is. There must be an assortment of spares someone could salvage from it, and then there's the scrap metal, but perhaps I'm overestimating what someone might be willing to pay, particularly as most places will add a charge to take an old machine away!

I'm looking at AO.com who charge £10, and I'm very tempted to just go ahead with it, as I don't have access to a van and disposing/transporting it myself would be practically impossible, but I wanted to see if there was any opportunity to save a few bob before going ahead.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick

Comments

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,950 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 March 2018 at 3:37PM
    Options
    NickH85 wrote: »
    Hi MSE forum.

I need to buy a new washing machine, as the bearings have gone and, for my old particular model, it's apparently not possible/extremely difficult to repair.

I was hoping to find a company who might accept a trade-in to get some money off, but not sure how likely that is. There must be an assortment of spares someone could salvage from it, and then there's the scrap metal, but perhaps I'm overestimating what someone might be willing to pay, particularly as most places will add a charge to take an old machine away!

I'm looking at AO.com who charge £10, and I'm very tempted to just go ahead with it, as I don't have access to a van and disposing/transporting it myself would be practically impossible, but I wanted to see if there was any opportunity to save a few bob before going ahead.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Nick

AO.com every time for me ! Prices are reasonable and the delivery guys are usually very helpful.

As it could cost you or anyone else to dump it, £10 is a bargain. My local council charge £43.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Lots of adverts on gumtree for free waste metal collection
    https://www.gumtree.com/removal-services/uk/free+scrap+metal+collection

Maybe try one of these if any local ?
  • fred246
    fred246 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can sell broken machines on eBay. The man who bought ours said he was hoping to repair it and sell it on. If that wasn't possible he would dismantle it and sell the parts. They pick them up from your house.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,569 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    99% of the weight is concrete and motor, very little metal by weight.

Bearings gone, motor maybe well worn also, so its pretty worthless. Advertise locally where someone may come and offer you pennies. Or just not turn up and your stuck with it.

Had no issues with AO, drivers very good. Having work done in the kitchen when they arrived so said drop the oven in the front garden, they asked several times if i was sure and they said no trouble bringing it in.
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Brynsam
    Brynsam Posts: 3,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Just get the thing carted off - at £10 to do so it's a bargain.
  • flashg67
    flashg67 Posts: 4,004 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Loads of free collection services on my local Facebook pages. Can't see it being worth much tbh

I actually left mine on the drive - it was gone within a few days. They dismantled it before chucking it on their van - I guess the drum is worth more (stainless?) than the steel side panels and plastic bits
  • agatham
    agatham Posts: 30 Forumite
    Options
    AO seems to be a good one to exchange faulty items. How about Hotpoint? Did you try that?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure