We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

struggling with defrosting food

Good evening Everyone,

As per the title I am struggling with defrosting stuff. I never seem to know how long or where. I already have anxiety about cooking stuff and keeping it cool as I am paranoid about giving food poisoning to someone.

To my shame I have even throw food away as its part defrosted and not sure if I should put it back in the fridge to finish off or not.

Thanks in advance everyone

Yours

Calley X
Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
«13

Comments

  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    I honestly think there's too much paranoia peddled about by 'experts' these days. I'm like you - sometimes chuck stuff rather than eat it because I feel unsure. There was a recent experiment on a foodie programme, think it was on channel 4 where they basically said you should only defrost stuff in the fridge, otherwise it's potentially unsafe. But having tried this - it takes days for a joint of meat to defrost like that and I don't ever think it defrosts in the middle. By the time it's defrosted, I'd want to chuck it because I'd think it's past the 3 days!

    Anyway, I stick to what my Mum does and I've not made anyone (or myself sick, ever!) I take out what I want to use, the morning I want to use it and leave it to defrost on the side, under a fly cover or in the microwave. If it's not fully defrosted by the time I want to use it, I finish it off in the microwave and then I'm immediately re-heating it or cooking it, so it doesn't matter if it warms round the edges.

    Obviously I'd be extra cautious if it was the height of summer and I wouldn't leave something in direct sunlight. I leave things out for less time in the summer because it's generally warmer.

    I always re-heat or cook everything until it's piping hot all the way through.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 March 2018 at 7:41PM
    If I remember to defrost stuff it's often not finished before I need to cook it - that's what the microwave on a defrost/low setting's for.

    I usually defrost from frozen in the microwave and once it's fully defrosted I'll then start the cooking bit.

    I think you're over-worrying. You didn't say what you're trying to defrost. But the only thing you need to worry about is that it's defrosted enough and/or then cooked enough to ensure that it's all hot all the way through IF the product involved is a "tricky one" like rice or chicken or pork.

    If I were defrosting an apple pie, say - then there's nothing to worry about there even if I hit a block of ice in the middle as I was spooning it into my mouth because .... still frozen apple's not going to be a problem at all, just a disappointment :)

    As for "where to" - it depends how long it's to be defrosted and what it is. Gateau for tea, out on the worktop to get it done fast/er; chicken for tomorrow, in the fridge; frozen apple pie for later today, out on the worktop; frozen apple pie for tomorrow, in the fridge and see how it goes by 1-2 hours before it goes into the oven and then drag it out onto the worktop.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary
    I always defrost in the fridge for 1 or 2 days depending what it is.
  • Serendipitious
    Serendipitious Posts: 6,453 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I have a defrosting tray, a bit like this

    https://www.robertdyas.co.uk/thawboard-defrost-tray-for-food

    I use it a lot.

    But I don't use it for whole chickens or large joints of meat, I'd defrost those in the fridge, but it's fine (and very fast) for chops, sausages, mince, home-made frozen meals, and so on.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”




  • calleyw
    calleyw Posts: 9,896 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!

    I think you're over-worrying. You didn't say what you're trying to defrost. But the only thing you need to worry about is that it's defrosted enough and/or then cooked enough to ensure that it's all hot all the way through IF the product involved is a "tricky one" like rice or chicken or pork.

    Sorry my fault should have said its the tricky ones I have issues with defrosting, meat. I have been know to eat things like cake and biscuits and donuts straight out the freezer :eek: :rotfl:

    My mum use to take the joint out the night before and bung on the draining board to cook the next day.

    I do that and it never seems to defrost. Might be I just have a cold kitchen.

    Yours

    Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

    Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

    If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Im one who gets stuff out of the freezer and leaves it out to defrost

    On a summers day Ive been known to leave stuff on the patio table to defrost :eek:

    Call, either your kitchen is freezing, or you are buying huge joints

    I will get a chicken out Saturday night and its defrosted by Sunday lunch no bother, and I rarely heat the kitchen

    Something like a turkey I will defrost slowly over 48hrs in the empty bath
  • Wizzbang
    Wizzbang Posts: 4,716 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    calleyw wrote: »
    Sorry my fault should have said its the tricky ones I have issues with defrosting, meat. I have been know to eat things like cake and biscuits and donuts straight out the freezer :eek: :rotfl:

    My mum use to take the joint out the night before and bung on the draining board to cook the next day.

    I do that and it never seems to defrost. Might be I just have a cold kitchen.

    Yours

    Calley x

    This is why I prefer to buy meat fresh, even if it means it costs more because I can't buy in bulk. I buy good quality, free range stuff from my local butcher and just as needed. I also don't have a lot of room to be freezing big joints. It tastes better fresh too.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £36,546.45

  • purpleivy
    purpleivy Posts: 3,676 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I express defrost in a sink or bowl of tepid water. It gets done quickly then in fridge to chill. Obviously only stuff like fish or meat, not gateau
    [SIZE=-1]"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"[/SIZE]
    Trying not to waste food!:j
    ETA Philosophy is wondering whether a Bloody Mary counts as a Smoothie
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,988 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Popping food on a metal tray (either in the fridge or on the counter) significantly speeds up defrosting as does putting (sealed) food in a bowl of quite heavily salted cold water.
  • Wizzbang wrote: »
    it takes days for a joint of meat to defrost like that and I don't ever think it defrosts in the middle. By the time it's defrosted, I'd want to chuck it because I'd think it's past the 3 days!

    Not just me then! It annoys me when labels say defrost in the fridge overnight: it's still frozen solid by the next day. I usually kick-start the process in the microwave and then put it in the fridge. That's another problem: if you try and do it all the way in the microwave you just end up with patches cooking whist the majority is still frozen.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.