Strange message - Robinson Way

Options
13»

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Dindex wrote: »
    I received a letter from them saying they are collecting a credit card debt from the Halifax. They sent a Halifax headed statement as proof. I have never been a Halifax client. I contacted the Halifax, they confirmed I was not and ever had been a client. They also confirmed the account number quoted by Robinson Way simply did not exist. The Halifax statement was clearly made up. I have reported this to the Halifax fraud department. Hopefully they will be paying these con artist a visit. There appears to be no formal way of reporting this sort of fraud, unless someone knows of one.

They probably found your name which matches the debtor's name and are assuming it is you.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,914 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Dindex wrote: »
    I received a letter from them saying they are collecting a credit card debt from the Halifax. They sent a Halifax headed statement as proof. I have never been a Halifax client. I contacted the Halifax, they confirmed I was not and ever had been a client. They also confirmed the account number quoted by Robinson Way simply did not exist. The Halifax statement was clearly made up. I have reported this to the Halifax fraud department. Hopefully they will be paying these con artist a visit. There appears to be no formal way of reporting this sort of fraud, unless someone knows of one.

Hi,

Usually when debts are sold on, they are sold in batches, or portfolios, so a few thousand accounts at a time, the original creditor washes there hands of the accounts, and usually all electronic information is removed from their systems, hence why Halifax cannot now find the accounts.

Its not fraud, its not pretty, but its not fraud, no one will be getting a visit, the letter you have received should show the original account number alongside the new Robinson way reference number, if the debt is not yours, then its possible you are a victim of a mis-trace by the DCA.

If that is the case, you should write and tell them so.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • TDot
    TDot Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    HPH are Hoist Portfolio Holdings (also HPH2, HPH3...) Robinson Way is a part of Hoist. Hoist being the debt purchaser, RW chasing collection on debts they have purchased under the Hoist umbrella.

It seems like they have purchased a debt from Welcome Finance.

If you do not recognise the original creditor - DO NOT acknowledge the debt to RW, but do ask them to provide proof. Do this in writing as a call will result in them asking you to 'pass' DPA and take note of your DOB even if they don't have it on file.

There is many an instance where they have purchased debts and chase people of the same name as the original borrower. They obtain address details off the public record and chase innocent people in an attempt to see if they've managed to locate the correct person.
  • deux_x_m
    deux_x_m Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had a letter from the about 18 months ago regarding a debt that wasn't mine and that I knew nothing about.
    I knew it wasn't a debt relating to me so rang them up. The person I spoke to said it related to whatever company and if it was mine. I said it wasn't and that was the end of that Not heard a thing since.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure