PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

O/S Daily Sunday 11th March 2018

Options
This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.
If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.

Comments

• silver-oldie
    silver-oldie Posts: 1,007 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Good morning All

Raining here but mild.

Will visit Mother this morning and then home to cook a nice roast for us.
    Saw DiL and DGS last weekend, they bought me some beautiful flowers and my favourite maltesers, so won't see them today. Haven't seen DS since the new year, but we did have a nice chat on the phone a few weeks ago.
    Not much else to say,
    Thinking of Holly

Hope you all have a good day
    If you walk at night no-one will see you cry.
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Morning all

Thanks for the thread Silver, hugs to all those in need especially Holly.

Raining here and looks set in for the day, my DS'S and taking me out for lunch and CHS too.
    DS1 hasn't seen the boat yet, he was a bit concerned about how I'd manage so I hope the visit will put his mind at rest.

Have a good day everyone.
    Hugs Hester
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Morning folks and thanks SILVER OLDIE for the new thread. Fine here and it looks as though the sun is trying to get out! Feels mild.

Happy Mothers Day for the mums on here, have a lovely day. I don't think I shall see either of my kids today but cards and presents have already been dropped off. DS called yesterday with a beautiful bunch of lilies - an amazing colour, nicest I have seen, some chocs and a card. DD left cards and gifts on Friday in case she wasn't back down from Darlington in time to call in.

All is going well in Darlington (tiring but well!) "Margot" has been cast as one of the dolls in Coppelia and her ballet teacher is impressed as it's what she was hoping for her. Youngest DGD (Margot mark 2!) has a rehearsal this morning for her local show of Cinderella (ballet not pantomime!) and when picked back up she is to drop off at home where DD's bf will look after her till DD gets home. Eldest due back from London today too so it will be to back the usual mad house down there by this evening!

I have had a right longing for a pie since watching Masterchef on Friday night, when Jay Rayner's brief was for a pie! So left some mince defrosting o/night (Aberdeen Angus minced steak, which I got for half price) and will start on a minced beef and onion pie shortly. That will be late lunch with mashed pots and veg and lashings of gravy. Hopefully a bit left for supper too.

Have a good day all and ((HUGS)) for all those in need/want of them. Thinking especially of HOLLY and hope Nelski has better news for us soon. GERS your mum's celebrations sounded wonderful. Take care all xx
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 8:23AM
    Options
    Good morning from the land of mist and damp - not at all cold though. Thanks for starting the thread sikver-oldie.

I'm still sitting here staring at bl**dy luggage.

I'll phone my mum later, she likes to lie in though would never admit it!

Today I have no real plans other than cooking roast lamb plus lots of veg and reading the Sunday Times, I might do some toymaking and need to order yarn for two baby blankets.

Yesterday I woke up missing a filling which I suspect
    I swallowed, and later in the day a crown fell off though I've got that. Dentist is very expensive, bums.

Hope that everyone has a good day and also that things are not too difficult for Holly.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • LaineyT
    LaineyT Posts: 4,643 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Morning everyone and thanks for the start SilverOldie,

Yesterday ended up being very productive as I got out in the garden and did a fair bit of cutting back & clearing, am pleased at how well my tendonitis held up to the work and is not sore at all this morning.
    Today I intend to pick up some flowers and take them over to Mum’s grave, she is, as always, on my mind :A
    Happy Mother’s Day to all our Mums and Nans on here, hope you are all suitably spoilt.
    Positive thoughts and energy to HH and thanks again to Nels for organising the card.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,045 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Still in Glasgow were it’s raining still.

Yesterday evening was lovely. All the W aitrose food made things so much easier. I had got a selection of cheeses, antipasti, deli meats etc. Along with bread and oatcakes and wine everything was simple.

I didn’t stay long with the group retiring to my bedroom and letting the chatting go on without me. It became too tiring to concentrate on the conversation between three people talking German, and lost both the thread and the interest. They all got on fine without me!

This morning I’m taking a load of cardboard to the recycling place, returning the green crate to W aitrose, collecting the visitors, taking them to the airport and then....going home. :j

DM has had a wonderful time though even she is glad it’s over. She’ll need a lot of recovery time and has promised no celebrations next year.

TA - the ballet rehearsals for both DGD sounds exhausting, it’s grest to hear all the effort being put into their dancing.

Happy Sunday to all.
  • ancientofdays
    ancientofdays Posts: 2,913 Forumite
    Options
    Gers I'm so glad your mum had such a special time she must be exhausted!
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • nmlc
    nmlc Posts: 4,788 Forumite
    edited 11 March 2018 at 9:08AM
    Options
    Morning everyone

Silveroldie - thanks for starting us off x

Hugs to those that want/need one x

Light here, damp underfoot, but not raining at the moment, quite mild too.

Thinking especially of Holly, hope she receiving the best care for her needs x If I'm not too late please add me to the card, sending love, hugs and strength to her x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH and I are both up enjoying first peaceful cuppas, he's watching a rather noisy film, which woke me, so he's still watching it and I'm on here. Both boys still in their pits, DS1 was out on the tiles last night but DH said he came in at 2.30am (which is quite early) so not expecting to see him just yet and DS2 he will start moving about in a short while I think.

Dinner last night was liver, bacon, sausages, chips, peas and gravy - lovely it was too, ice cream for dessert. Today will be roast chicken, roasties, mash, cauli/broc cheese, carrots, peas, HG purple sprouting broc (I'll cut that from the plants, wash it then it'll go straight into steamer to cook, can't get fresher than that!), gravy and yorkshires, there's some chilled sauvignon blanc to wash it down.

We'll be heading to the parents this morning to take the Mother's day gifts and cards, then home for roast and relax, I won't be doing much this afternoon other than surfing on her or watching tv/films or reading.

Bro is visiting mum and dad this weekend he arrived yesterday afternoon and will go home later today, we haven't planned anything big for mum as she just wouldn't cope with it, at the moment she's very muddled and thinks it's xmas and that she should be getting the xmas decs down from the loft to put up. Sad to see but we just have to get on with it.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,013 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning All

Dry but overcast this morning, washing can go on the rack and airers, there seems to be rather a lot today, bedding included.

Glad everything went well for your DM Gers, hope both you and she have a good rest after this!
    Well done Margot TA.

The party at friends was a bit flat but the food was good! I'm tired this morning, 2 nights out on the trot plus I'm reading a book I'm really enjoying so read for a while when I got in.

Going to meet DD later, lunch and a bit of shopping, nothing too taxing!

Enjoy your Sunday. Take care. XX
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good Morning all and a bit of a damp one at the moment here in Kent but not cold at all's spring must be on the way .
    I had a lovely meal out last night with DD and family and opening up the gifts she left for me this morning I have been very well looked after

I had a circulon frying pan which I had been contemplating buying which is great (just cooked breakfast in it ) and a lovely bottle of Jo Malone body and hand wash which is rose scented and smells gorgeous.
    I love Jo Malone scents, but find it just bit too expensive to justify :)

Eldest DD knows this bless her, and although I shall probably tell her off her standard reply is 'Your my Mum and treated me growing up, so I am returning the compliment 'Bless her she is a good lass and know exactly what I like

Youngest DD is coming round this morning ,even though I shall see her for dinner later :) she too is a dear lass, and I am so lucky that both my DDs are such lovely ladies, although I do tell them off for spending too much at times, not that they ever take much notice :):):)

DGS Danny texted from NYC late last night and said although he loves his life out there and his job he still gets homesick when its Mothers Day but he will facetime his Mum later when he gets up (their time difference is about 5-6 hours behind the UK) He will also facetime me around 2.00.p.m. our time

Gers sounds like your Mum enjoyed herself, now its time for you to put your feet up and relax for a bit ,definitely porridge and old clothes day today:):)

Hope our Holly H is OK and being taken care of bless her.

Time to get a shift and the kettle on.

To all the Mum,Nans and in fact all of the women who work hard to look after their loved ones I hope you all have a nice relaxing day today

Love to you all

JackieO xxx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family