Past has caught up with me

I recieved a letter yesterday from ECI Management services requesting if the occupier of the property new of my whereabouts.

I have been running away from this debt(approx £50000 for) about 3 years and thought maybe it had "gone away". I am assuming its this debt and not some aged Aunt leaving me a fortune.

As I have no assets, car or savings and earn just enough to live on and I pay rent to my girlfriend.

Do I

a) Ignore the letter

b) Lie and say the person no longer lives here.

c) Come clean and try to come to some arrangement however small it may be. (I know this is the right thingto do)

How do I go about contacting them? What do I say in any phone call/letter?

Any advice to my next step would be welcome. I have a new life, new job,loving partner and a baby due in August and I don't want my past stupidity to ruin it.

Help please

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Only time for a quick reply.

Start with the National Debtline self-help pack HERE

If you have no assets, then bankruptcy is an option. Don't discount it, read about it HERE

Sorry ... gotta go, but do read the links. It will show you that there are a number of ways out :)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • eyeopener
    eyeopener Posts: 51 Forumite
    Thanks DFC.

Time to bite the bullet I think.
  • ceegee
    ceegee Posts: 856 Forumite
    It would take the worry away, if you sorted it out by some means or other. If you did ignore it, you would be constantly "looking over your shoulder" to see if it was coming after you again. Try to treat it as an expensive lesson....lots of people have been there to one extent or another. Also, free professional help is available, as Debt_Free_Chick says.This will take some of the burden of worry away. Remember, it sounds flippant, but a problem shared is a problem halved. Does your girlfriend know about this debt?

I hope none of this sounds uncaring or flippant....I'm just tossing a few thoughts in. Hope it gets sorted . :cool:
    :snow_grin"Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........":snow_grin
  • citygal
    citygal Posts: 67 Forumite
    hi eyeopener- sorry to hear about that :( I used to try and ignore my debt and wish that it would disappear - but it's always going to be there! I would just come clean, once you do you won't have to look over your shoulder all the time.
    Debt /Overdraft/Everything Free December 2007 :j
  • eyeopener
    eyeopener Posts: 51 Forumite
    Thanks everybody. I actually feel better already and it looks like its time to be a bit more honest with myself and others.

As has been said above , its time to sort it out once and for all.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport