Options
2»

Comments

• kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,770 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    No. Your conclusion is incorrect.

If you port, sale & completion is concurrent so no ERC would be payable.

If you don't port, you will pay the whole fee on the sale and redemption. You will get half back if your purchase completes within three months.

There is nothing more to it. Concurrent sale and purchase without a port still means pay it all and get half back. Just perhaps getting the half back a bit faster!
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    thehoorays wrote: »
    So it seems like the first option is better? Sorry for the probably obvious questions! First time selling for me, and never had any personal loans, etc, so it's all a bit over my head!
    Without knowing the difference in the rates for the port & top-up versus the new product for the whole mortgage, there is no way anyone here can establish if it's worth paying all or even half the ERC.

Why not get a decent broker and get this done for you?
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • thehoorays
    Options
    thanks, so is porting better? <- sorry, posted at same time as your last post
  • kingstreet
    Options
    Please see #13!
  • thehoorays
    Options
    Thanks for your help! Yes, I was going to go with the broker I spoke to today, but just wanted to check what he was saying as I'd had conflicting information, then obviously got carried away asking about it all!
    I guess as I have to stay with Virgin for everything this could be sorted directly through Virgin. I did have a call with their mortgage adviser scheduled for today, but with all the bad weather up in the North East they had to cancel due to staff not getting in and earliest they can do is next Tuesday. I booked today's appointment a week ago already. I'm now thinking of using a broker as they will probably be able to get it sorted quicker than me! I want to get it sorted quickly, and now it's dragging out over 2 weeks just to speak to one of Virgin's advisers, when I've spoken to them several times and done all preamble and mortgage in principle, etc.....
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,973 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    kingstreet wrote: »
    Without knowing the difference in the rates for the port & top-up versus the new product for the whole mortgage, there is no way anyone here can establish if it's worth paying all or even half the ERC.

Why not get a decent broker and get this done for you?

Would a broker be interested in a mortgage port with the same lender? As that seems a good option for OP.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • kingstreet
    Options
    Yes. We get paid the procuration fee for the full mortgage, port or otherwise.
  • thehoorays
    Options
    The broker I spoke to today said he wouldn't charge me for his services as he would get the commission from Virgin anyway.
  • sitesafe
    sitesafe Posts: 544 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for posting this about porting. I am considering the same (2 years into 5 year fix) and wasn't sure if I'd understood the woman on the phone correctly. I kind of get it now but will need to look at how much my monthly payments will be if I get rid of existing and take out one new whole one. My monthly payments for having two parts, port and additional were quite expensive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure