Car finance issues

Options
dsme94
dsme94 Posts: 40 Forumite
Hi,

I am having an issue with an Audi Approved Used Car I bought a month ago. I raised an issue with the brake discs being warped 2 weeks into ownership. I contacted the dealership I bought the car from confirming my suspicions on inspection at my local dealership. After explaining this, they declined to repair the car.

The car cost £30,000 and is financed through my bank on a PCP agreement.

If the dealership is not prepared to repair the vehicle, as part of my terms I can return the vehicle which leads me to my question.

How does my finance agreement get settled with Bank of Scotland? I would assume that the dealership will refund the full amount paid which should settle the agreement? Obviously, this is special circumstances so I shouldn't really need to pay the 'settlement figure'? I spoke to a Bank of Scotland rep on the phone who was completely useless and couldn't answer my question.

Comments

• ZZL
    ZZL Posts: 14 Forumite
    Options
    Discs would go down as wear and tear, and they tend to warp when used on a spirited drive and then sat with the brake pedal applied (e.g. at lights)

I'm not saying this is the case, and I also don't expect you to disclose if it is, but is there a chance you've been having fun in your new car?

If you have done nothing but drive the car as one would be expected, my guess is you would somehow have to prove that the vehicle is faulty and causing the discs to warp, otherwise its just part of normal wear and tear
    As another example, you wouldn't expect them to replace tyres if they had gone below the legal limits after 5k miles, as this would be down to driving habits
  • John-K_3
    John-K_3 Posts: 681 Forumite
    edited 27 February 2018 at 7:52PM
    Options
    What reason did they give for not repairing? Were they working fine when you collected, but have warped since? If thats the case, then as above, did they warp because you overheated them?

If you mistreated the car, then you can’t just hand it back, itd be much the same if you reversed it into a tree.

If, on the other hand, the brakes were warped from the off then you should escalate the complaint. Go to Audi GB and explain what is going on.

Edited to remove apostrophes...
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ZZL wrote: »
    my guess is you would somehow have to prove that the vehicle is faulty and causing the discs to warp

Your guess would be wrong in this instance. For the first 6 months the seller is responsible to prove there was nothing wrong at time of sale, after 6 months it is the buyers responsibility.

As he has only owned the car 1 month the onus is on the dealership.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,858 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »
    Your guess would be wrong in this instance. For the first 6 months the seller is responsible to prove there was nothing wrong at time of sale, after 6 months it is the buyers responsibility.

To which they simply state you warped them by overheating due to driving style.
  • ZZL
    Options
    benten69 wrote: »

Thanks for the correction, I realise you are right as I have heard of this before

The original point still stands however, in that discs warp due to heat (overuse), so the dealer isn't liable at all
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi dsme94,

I would suggest you check the terms and conditions of the agreement and the warranty to see exactly what is covered. You also need to get the dealership to confirm, in writing, why they will not repair it.

You may be able to raise a complaint with the dealership about this and escalate it to the financial ombudsman if required. However, you need to be exceptionally carefully about returning the car. If you return the car now, you could be outside of the 'cooling off period'. Even if you are within the cooling off period you are only cancelling the finance and would still need to pay for the car some other way. Returning the car, doesn't cancel the liability to the agreement. If you take it back, they may deemed that to be a voluntarily termination the agreement, meaning that you will still be liable for 50% of the agreement, plus any excessive wear and tear.

I appreciate there are extenuating circumstances, but if this can't be resolved with a complaint, then you may need legal advice about your options if you feel they have breached the terms and conditions of the agreement. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • benten69
    benten69 Posts: 366 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    molerat wrote: »
    To which they simply state you warped them by overheating due to driving style.
    ZZL wrote: »
    Thanks for the correction, I realise you are right as I have heard of this before

The original point still stands however, in that discs warp due to heat (overuse), so the dealer isn't liable at all

The key word here is "PROVE" which means more than "You warped the discs, not our fault, go away". In this situation it would probably require an independent experts report as proof in court if it ever got that far. No judge will simply take the dealers word for it, and the law stipulates they need to prove it's not a fault, not just say it's not their fault.

Also I am 99% sure they won't even be warped. Audi's suffer a lot from brake material sticking to the discs, especially if sitting at traffic lights with your foot on the brakes after they have been used and heated up.

Simple way to fix is take the car to an empty private road, get up to 60-ish and slam on the brakes down to 30, repeat this 3 or 4 times, it will remove the pad build up which has accumulated. Once you do the last one just drive about and do not use the brakes excessively or sit in traffic with your foot on the brakes until they have been allowed to properly cool down.

This should clear off the pad material. Brake discs very rarely warp on road cars unless they were cheap ones to begin with or the driver has been using his local back roads as a local version of the Nurburgring and giving them SERIOUS abuse.
  • ZZL
    Options
    I have had my discs warp on at least my current and previous car, although I didnt try this pad clearing procedure

But okay, whilst its obvious what has probably happened here, the dealer will likely have to repair/refund under law as I reckon it'll be near impossible to prove.

From the limited information in the first post however, I can't help but think OP might have a case of buyers remorse?
    I mean look at it this way, all that needs to happen at worst is the discs be replaced. Surely the OP would fight for this as it would be a much easier battle with the dealership, than going through the entire process of them taking the car back and settling finance...
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    30k is it even going to be a regulated agreement?
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • nelly12
    nelly12 Posts: 208 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    chanz4 wrote: »
    30k is it even going to be a regulated agreement?

If it’s a private individual then yes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport