Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

House Price Crash Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    1-0 then to me, when is it your turn to post a sensible one :)

<<<<<<<<<<<< check out my thanks count.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • DreamBreaker
    Options
    dolce_vita wrote: »

Ohhhhhhhhhhh yeah IC, you re-registered with multiple accounts and then began thanking yourself, silly me, my apologies :)
  • nelly_2
    nelly_2 Posts: 17,863 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

amature :)

check mine:D
  • mr.broderick
    Options
    nelly wrote: »

One more for luck
  • Generali
    Generali Posts: 36,411 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Thanks tart.;)
  • cafenervosa_2
    Options
    This is a very good video for understanding real estate bubbles, I know it applies to the American market this guy makes a lot of sense because it was made in 2005 and he saw the signs that the bubble was about to burst. Now 2 years later what he predicted in the lecture has happened in 2007.

I should also note that from the past evidence of the 1989 crash in the usa, it followed in the UK as well. So going from past evidence the UK is going to follow suit and crash like the USA is now.

Here is the video, just make sure you watch part 2 and 3 too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOWuczlJCA&feature=related
  • tr3mor
    tr3mor Posts: 2,325 Forumite
    Options
    Your welcome, b1tch :)

Get a room! :rolleyes:
  • WTF?_2
    WTF?_2 Posts: 4,592 Forumite
    Options
    This is a very good video for understanding real estate bubbles, I know it applies to the American market this guy makes a lot of sense because it was made in 2005 and he saw the signs that the bubble was about to burst. Now 2 years later what he predicted in the lecture has happened in 2007.

I should also note that from the past evidence of the 1989 crash in the usa, it followed in the UK as well. So going from past evidence the UK is going to follow suit and crash like the USA is now.

Here is the video, just make sure you watch part 2 and 3 too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyOWuczlJCA&feature=related

Those with some time should check out this video too:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4XhvG_fD0HA

It's from a respected economist called Paul Krugman who writes for the NYT, giving a talk at Google itself. He really spells out what is/has been happening in the markets. It's US-centric but relevant to the rest of the world too.

70 mins long, but well worth viewing. Anyone who still thinks things are just going to blow over in the world of finance after viewing this deserves to be sectioned IMO. He's clearly doing his very best not to be alarmist but his genuine alarm at the state of the financial system shows through.
    --
    Every pound less borrowed (to buy a house) is more than two pounds less to repay and more than three pounds less to earn, over the course of a typical mortgage.
  • dolce_vita
    dolce_vita Posts: 1,031 Forumite
    Options
    Should you believe the property doom stories?

DOOMWATCH.
    dolce vita's stock reply templates

#1. The people that run these "sell your house and rent back" companies are generally lying thieves and are best avoided

#2. This time next year house prices in general will be lower than they are now

#3. Cheap houses are a good thing not a bad thing
  • WTF?_2
    WTF?_2 Posts: 4,592 Forumite
    Options
    Should you believe the property doom stories?

DOOMWATCH.

(fingers in ears)
    la la la la la la la la la la la

I can't hear you :D
    --
    Every pound less borrowed (to buy a house) is more than two pounds less to repay and more than three pounds less to earn, over the course of a typical mortgage.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport