MSE News: NHS prescription cost to rise to £8.80

edited 26 February 2018 at 5:07PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
5 replies 1.6K views
Former_MSE_Megan_FFormer_MSE_Megan_F Former MSE
418 Posts
Newshound!
✭✭
edited 26 February 2018 at 5:07PM in Health & Beauty MoneySaving
Prescription charges in England are to increase by 20p to £8.80 - but hundreds of thousands of patients could save an average of almost £50 a year by getting a 'prescription prepayment certificate'...
Read the full story:
'NHS prescription cost to rise to £8.80'

OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven!!!8217;t already, join the forum to reply.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: [email protected]
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Replies

• edited 26 February 2018 at 4:58PM
    One-EyeOne-Eye Forumite
    57.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 26 February 2018 at 4:58PM
    You can save much more than £10.40 for one item per prescription with an annual Pre-Payment Certificate (PPC).

In my experience "monthly" prescriptions are actually every 4 weeks ie. 28 days. You need 14 prescriptions in a year if you get one item regularly every 28 days so the saving with an annual PPC at the new rate is £19.20 (eg. 1st item Thursday 01/03/2018, 14th item Thursday 28/02/2019, and you then won't need the replacement PPC to start until Thursday 28/03/2019).

With careful management, if you re-order your 28-day prescription every 24 days you can get 16 prescriptions in a year saving £36.80. In the above example, you won't need the replacement PPC to start until 23/05/2019 so the "annual PPC" lasts the equivalent of almost 15 months.

Anything else you need during the year will also be free - so it's like having a serious condition like diabetes, or being Welsh :D

• VT82VT82 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Rather than do that, I used to get a three month one, but order my fourth month's repeat just before the PPC expires. Means you only need to pay 3 lots of £29.10 for a year's prescriptions instead of £104. Also means that if your prescription is reduced part way through the year to the point where it's better to PAYG, e.g. only needing one repeat every two months (as mine now has been), you won't have overpaid for your PPC.
  • pmdukpmduk Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One-Eye wrote: »
    o it's like having a serious condition... or being Welsh :D

I don't want to rock the boat or cause offence to our Welsh Friends, but it's better than that, It means we don't have to endure the health service rationing that pays for their " free" prescriptions.
  • robin58robin58 Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    Bested the prescription rise by getting old. :T
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • keithdckeithdc Forumite
    456 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    pmduk wrote: »
    I don't want to rock the boat or cause offence to our Welsh Friends, but it's better than that, It means we don't have to endure the health service rationing that pays for their " free" prescriptions.

Don't fret... the Consertative party is already on the case of health service rationing in England!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Lloyds Bank wrongly declares customer dead

Account was closed due to a misreading

MSE News

Cheap home insurance

Grab 100+ buildings insurance quotes & cashback

MSE Guides

£12 for 1L Baileys

Available at Tesco, Morrisons & Asda

MSE Deals