PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Faggots.

Options
2»

Comments

• suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Was at an elderly relatives yesterday and she served Bains Faggots. Haven't had them in 4/5 years but remember quite liking them. Thing is this time I thought they were rather horrible. Mushy and tasteless in a watery gravy. I saw her open the packet from frozen and put it in the oven.

Was wondering if the recipe has changed or just my tastes.

Anyway have a hankering for Faggots anyone have any suggestions/recipies?
    The Ginger Pig in Marylebone sometimes do them but not at the moment.

I remember posting the same a few years ago. I used to love those Brains faggots but nowadays they are pure mush

I think the meat content is less then in the cheapest of cheap sausages now.

Someone who posts here kindly shared their recipe for faggots on the old thread which many people tried and said were lovely. Can't mind for certain, might have been Mrs lurchwalker
  • purpleybat
    Options
    i had them recently after many years and i thought they were really mushy and bland. but dear god that sauce was almost pure salt, i've never drank so much water after a meal.
    i made some a year ago which were nice but more of a fagball cos it was really sloppy mix so added mince and loads of breadcrumbs. tasty tho
  • buildersdaughter
    Options
    They are an excellent 'peasant food' if made properly. Th first batch should be eaten 'straight'. Then, if you want to roll teh left overs into balls to freeze, get some thin slices of streaky bacon, and bash until very thin. I have heard that some wrap in cabbage leaves or spinach, but I never have.
    On of my 'rants' is about how mass production has ruined a lot of our traditional recipes, so that people no longer know what they should taste like.
    And yes, I have heard people from the North Midlands and up call them 'ducks'.
  • SilverBird_2
    Options
    I've made faggots for many years, guided by the hand-written recipe given to me by my aunt. The recipe doesn't use offal or mystery bits and pieces, and the resulting faggots are very tasty. Btw, they can be a good way of using up the last of the festive roast turkey if you can't face yet another curry!!!
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/RatatouilleGC 2022: £0/£2,500 total spend
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,987 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The butchers here in my bit of rural Shropshire make them and very tasty they are too, I have never tried to make them, probably because really nice ones have always been available wherever I have lived, great sausages too.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure