Wedding Abroad

Hi,
I am looking to plan a wedding abroad for 2009 and am thinking of Rome or Italy. Does anyone have any useful information or websites related to doing something like this? I would quite like a religious/church ceremony and would also quite like to keep the cost to a minimum and do most if not all of the planning myself.

Any help, advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated,:j

Thanks
Emma.

Comments

• Yip, the best way to keep costs to a minimum is not to get married. By the way, I thought Rome was IN Italy :j
  • Sorry, should have said Rome or somewhere else in Italy but thanks for your incredibly helpful post.:p
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    tripadviser is good for info on the country,plus reviews of hotels.,and a forum where you could search for "wedding"also venere for more info about Rome locations,and website hotelscomparison for booking hotels.This site wont let me post the links to the last two.
    Also only just (duh) discovered the joys of google images for instantly looking at photos of hotels/restaurants maybe churches that you may be considering
  • Fen1
    Fen1 Posts: 1,577 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Talk to your local priest, whether you are Catholic or Protestant, as both Churches have diocese in Italy. They can find out contact addresses for you at the church you wish to marry. It will probably involve requireing a licence from the bishop of the diocese, plus permission from the parish priest in Italy.

You should talk to your priest anyway, as the legalities of the licence with regard to banns being read at your local church will have to go through your local priest.
  • I am getting married in a castle in Tuscany in Sept 08 and have a fantastic wedding planner who put me at ease, answered all my questions and also helped me by tranlasting and organising visits to see various venues, caterers, florists everything. We wanted to orgininally do everything ourselves, but unless you speak italian or know your way around, its sometimes quite difficult, but to be honest the cost has paid for itself by having a wedding planner as they have great contacts and get deals that you couldn't get even if you went direct.

It was great to go over and have a quick recce to see it all and meet them first hand. The ones we have are amazing, very reasonably priced, less than a quarter of what other planners were charging, and extremely helpful. They do all your legal work and translations for you too. If you want any information email Pia on [EMAIL="info@invitoscana.it"]info@invitoscana.it[/EMAIL] say Jayne recommended you. This is just for the Tuscany area, but they may have contacts elsewhere in Italy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure