Xbox or PlayStation

Hi I was thinking about getting my youngest son a PlayStation 4 or Xbox one for his birthday which one is better ???

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 19 February 2018 at 5:43PM
    Hi I was thinking about getting my youngest son a PlayStation 4 or Xbox one for his birthday which one is better ???

Thats subjective as in they both have positive and negatives. I prefer Xbox myself but thats purely because Ive been Xbox fan since the first one, did have a PS, 2 and 3 but some reason I stuck with Xbox.

This question has most likely already been covrred, have you checked the gaming sub forum if its been asked.

All depends on does your son want a console and what do his friemds have ?

I would also read up on what you can do as a parent to prevent exposure to losing money via your son accudently buying this game or that dlc.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,320
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    OP, as above - 'which is best' is subjective. The question you should ask is - which is best for your son. The answer usually will be whatever his mates have - he'll want to play online with them, so no point him having a PS4 if his mates have an Xbone. If it's going to be used by the rest of you as well (playing blu-rays or watching catch up TV), then consider that as well - not sure if Xbone can do blu rays but PS4 can. .
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Ps4 has better exclusives and i like it more. However both are great and as has been said its best to get whatever their mates have.
  • warehouse
    warehouse Posts: 3,362
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Already been answered but I concur, friends current ownership will dictate. My son has 50% on each platform, (and loves his PS4).
    Pants
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Xbox One is the technically better one, PS4 has sold more consoles. On older multiplayer games you're likely to find more people playing on PS4 than Xbox one or at least that was my experience on Battlefield 4 last week.

But ultimately if his friends are on PS4 that's what you get.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    not sure if Xbone can do blu rays but PS4 can. .

Xbox One S and X can do Ultra HD 4k blu-rays which even the PS4 Pro can't.
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Tarambor wrote: »
    Xbox One is the technically better one,

Tarambor wrote: »
    Xbox One S and X can do Ultra HD 4k blu-rays which even the PS4 Pro can't.

That may well be so but it comes down to the games. I prefer the likes of uncharted and horizon zero dawn than halo or forza.
  • editor1
    editor1 Posts: 287
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Forumite
    Given the dramatic fall in the cost of the Xbox One S, the fact that Xbox supports Xbox Live, EA Access and Xbox Game Pass if it were me, I'd opt for Xbox. However, and as others have pointed out, Sony PS4 has a better crop of exclusive games and good market penetration - Xbox Live is still superior to Sony's offering and the Xbox One S has good multimedia capabilities in the UK.

However, if the majority of his peers use PS4, go with Sony, if this is not the case, go with Xbox, particularly if into sports games - See EA Access.
  • z1a
    z1a Posts: 2,522
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Try to find a "Bargin".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts