I have a job interview!

Options
Hi there,

As the title suggests, I have a job interview on Tuesday, with a company that is quite close to where I am already working.

I am not nervous at the moment but will be by the time Tuesday comes. There are some things on the job description I haven't done before, but the agency and employer must think I can do the job and it's something I've wanted to get into, but due to lack of experience, I have avoided jobs with this in the job description.

I have looked at interview tips and questions etc, the only one I seem to struggle with is "tell me about yourself", is it usual to talk about your personal life or professional life (or both?).

The agency will ring me for an interview prep when I leave work tomorrow.
Striving to clear the mortgage before it finishes in Dec 2028 - amount currently owed - £41,706.18

Comments

• StevenB12
    Options
    When I've been asked about myself I usually just go into detail about what I do in my personal time etc as they are usually looking for you tell them what you are like as a person etc. From my experience anyway.

I've had times when I have been asked when have I pushed myself to overcome any fears, and I struggled with that one haha.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,499 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would start with your work experience and then move to more personal areas e.g. what you like to do outside work. However you handle the question just try to avoid waffling.
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You've already told us about yourself so you're obviously not that shy.

"Over the last couple of years I have lost about 1/3 of my body weight, and I mainly did this with a strict diet showing I have lots of self control and some energetic dancing round my living room to the sound of Abba"

"I was actually voted woman of the year in my group" - followed by embarrassed giggle and look away. "I think I'll fit right in here because.........."
  • PLYSU
    PLYSU Posts: 176 Forumite
    Options
    If someone asked me to them about myself, I would ask if they want to know about me at the workplace or outside.

Good luck and hope you get the job!
  • ThemeOne
    ThemeOne Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It's a very open-ended question, and the danger is you might end up chattering on about things that don't show you in the best light.

I'd keep it fairly brief and bland to begin with and only expand on the personal stuff if you sense they want more. And it depends on the business sector - an insurance company might be happy with how you love gardening and playing bridge, whereas a trendy media place might delight in hearing what you got up to (or still get up to for all I know) in your clubbing days.

I think it's also as much how you say it as what you say. If you have a lively and engaging manner you can make anything sound interesting.

Best of luck anyway, hope it goes well.
  • Seanymph
    Seanymph Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would answer combining 'me' with how I fit or wanted 'the job'....

So, a fault - like well, I have to confess to being a bit of a perfectionist - which means that I can be pedantic and spend some of my time outside work planning and researching - I have to keep an eye on that....... the good news is that it means that I never miss a deadline and deliver projects that are well researched!

Or, mm, let's see - I'm irritatingly cheerful in the morning - generally I get in first and drive everyone up the wall until they have at least caught up with the first cup of coffee.....

I am currently looking to further my career because I've always wanted to do ............. this would give me the best chance to do that because I know that alongside this role I can study xxxxx and that will give me the opportunity to work up within the company.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    I read somewhere that men start talking about their professional lives whilst women start the conversation about their personal lives
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well done on getting the interview, Abbafan1972, and the very best of luck with it.

Some excellent advice already with which I can only agree; I think I too would start by mentioning my qualities (e.g. perfectionist) and describing how they relate to and benefit the role for which you are applying. If they ask what your favourite Abba song is, by all means tell them. :)

Please let us know how you get on.
  • Firetastic
    Options
    Just wanted to say Good Luck for the interview. They aren't easy to get by any means. I'm always excited to get an interview.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hope it went OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts