Pregnant and job searching, can I change my mind?

Options
13»

Comments

• Anne25_2
    Options
    Anne

You are entitled to work but as you are probably aware most employers probably won't be to chuffed to find you will be off pretty much 3 months down the line for up to one year.

Only a suggestion to try and solve the moral side and would require you to be honest to the employer and not screw them but...

Tell them you are pregnant, tell them that you can't claim SMP (whilst most employers can claim all this back some still have a cost) and tell them you will only claim the holiday earnt whilst at work (legally you are entitled to it all...however I believe the employer only has to give you the opportunity to take it...if you don't then it is up to you).

I'm sure some will baulk at the idea but its totally understandable you want to work and it seems a fair solution to me.

They may of course still say no but they also may say yes and allow you to take all holiday...or you may just meet in the middle as i suggest.

Nothing to lose by asking.

Thank you! And yes i was thinking along these lines myself. They do not have to pay me SMP and they have several salespeople doing the same job - and are recruiting for more - so i guess it wouldn’t affect them hugely if i were to go on maternity after a few months. I think you are right about telling them up front. Then i have been honest and can leave the decision up to them. :o
  • Takeaway_Addict
    Options
    Anne25 wrote: »
    Thank you! And yes i was thinking along these lines myself. They do not have to pay me SMP and they have several salespeople doing the same job - and are recruiting for more - so i guess it wouldn’t affect them hugely if i were to go on maternity after a few months. I think you are right about telling them up front. Then i have been honest and can leave the decision up to them. :o

To be clear Anne my suggestion is only because of what you mentioned previously. There is no legal requirement to tell them you are pregnant of course.
    Don't trust a forum for advice. Get proper paid advice. Any advice given should always be checked
  • xapprenticex
    Options
    Anne25 wrote: »
    No I absolutely would not want to employ a pregnant person - and people like your colleague really annoy me too! I know someone (a teacher) who keeps having babies to avoid having to return to work!! :mad:
    My issue really is that I need to work and feel this company may be my only hope. But at the same time, I do not want to “mug them off” so to speak as they really did seem like a lovely bunch of people! Its a question of morals and ethics really.

I respect your honesty and common sense.
  • Mrs_Soup
    Mrs_Soup Posts: 1,154 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    You may be eligible for Maternity allowance even if you do not find a new job before the baby is born. You have to have worked for 26 weeks in the preceding 66 weeks by the week before the due date and paid enough NI etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport